Register to reply

Which accent of the English language is your favourite?

by leopard
Tags: accent, english, favourite, language
Share this thread:
leopard
Nov26-08, 11:36 AM
P: 115
Personally I love the typical British accent (London). Skottish is really cool. And maybe East Coast American. I don't like Australian. Texas is horrible, not at least because it reminds me of Bush.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
matthyaouw
Nov26-08, 11:40 AM
PF Gold
P: 1,216
Which London accent is that then? An example would be good.

There is no such thing as a typical British accent as far as I'm aware.
wolram
Nov26-08, 11:50 AM
PF Gold
P: 3,685
Quote Quote by leopard View Post
Personally I love the typical British accent (London). Skottish is really cool. And maybe East Coast American. I don't like Australian. Texas is horrible, not at least because it reminds me of Bush.

I prefers the queens hinglish, spoken proper like what i do

berkeman
Nov26-08, 11:56 AM
Mentor
P: 41,109
Which accent of the English language is your favourite?

I'm partial to Aussie.
leopard
Nov26-08, 12:00 PM
Quote Quote by matthyaouw View Post
Which London accent is that then? An example would be good.

There is no such thing as a typical British accent as far as I'm aware.
Haringey. Also the accents spoken Kingston, Harrow and certain parts of Merton is wonderful.

Oxford accent is my favourite outside London.
D H
Nov26-08, 12:10 PM
Mentor
P: 15,170
Which Texas accent? Texas is a big state and has several different accents. There are some similarities: "all", "yall", and "all yall". "All": That black goo that comes out of the ground. "Yall": second person plural. "All yall": Each and every one of you. Beyond that, East Texan, Central Texan, West Texan, and South Texan are quite different. East Texans sounds like a mix between Hillbilly and Cajun. Central Texans have a bit of a Teutonic lilt. South Texas has a strong Hispanic influence. West Texan twang is what George Bush speaks.
Anticitizen
Nov26-08, 12:13 PM
P: 128
Whatever you'd describe Leonard Nimoy's voice to be.

I really like the way he pronounces, for example, 'mirror'. Mir-or. Enunciates all syllables. Most people say 'mirrer'.

Yes, I was raised on Star Trek.

Another example - including the 'T' in 'exactly'. Versus 'exackly'.
leopard
Nov26-08, 12:34 PM
Quote Quote by D H View Post
Which Texas accent?
Corsicana is OK, but the rest makes me sick. Worst of them all: eastern part of Amarillo, Midland, Longview and the area between Brownwood and Lampasas.
epenguin
Nov26-08, 01:08 PM
HW Helper
P: 1,987
Yes there is, perhaps, about 10X more variety in British accents than in American.

There are some I think of as rather ugly. They tend to coincide with industrial regions, well now post-industrial. Some might therefore impute me snobbery but on the other hand I like the West Country accent which other snobs consider yokelish country bumpkin. My favorite accent is the Welsh. But it is also a spirit and way of saying things and there is more than just sound involved in all these accents, and personal history also in one's likes. Welsh accent would not do if everybody spoke it because it involves, so say phoneticists, a 'phonetic simplification' with respect to standard English.

The regional accents were in decline but have made a comeback. The last ten or so years have seen the diffusion of something called 'Estuary English' which, nearest description I can manage, has a base of a kind of lazy diluted Cockney after diasporisation through South ('Sarf') London and Essex () with various additions including American plus whatever mid-Atlantic publicityspeak is imagined as such, Caribbean, borrowings from Geek acronymised and txted; the salad cream smothering this mishmash of linguistic fastfood is the desire to at all costs sound streetwise.
offtheleft
Nov26-08, 01:11 PM
P: 148
i absolutely love the english/australian accent. especially on girls, i think its so enticing and attractive. i seriously melt when i hear it lol.
jms5631
Nov26-08, 01:14 PM
P: 55
I'm partial to the Irish accent myself, think it's pretty cool.

The U.S midwestern accent is probally the blandest in my opinion(it's mine, Detroit area). Doesn't seem to have any real distinguishing charecteristics.
Andre
Nov26-08, 01:24 PM
PF Gold
P: 5,459
Why? in Nouvion of course, especially by Officer Crabtree

allo allo
leopard
Nov26-08, 01:26 PM
Quote Quote by epenguin View Post
Yes there is, perhaps, about 10X more variety in British accents than in American.

There are some I think of as rather ugly. They tend to coincide with industrial regions, well now post-industrial. Some might therefore impute me snobbery but on the other hand I like the West Country accent which other snobs consider yokelish country bumpkin. My favorite accent is the Welsh. But it is also a spirit and way of saying things and there is more than just sound involved in all these accents, and personal history also in one's likes. Welsh accent would not do if everybody spoke it because it involves, so say phoneticists, a 'phonetic simplification' with respect to standard English.

The regional accents were in decline but have made a comeback. The last ten or so years have seen the diffusion of something called 'Estuary English' which, nearest description I can manage, has a base of a kind of lazy diluted Cockney after diasporisation through South ('Sarf') London and Essex () with various additions including American plus whatever mid-Atlantic publicityspeak is imagined as such, Caribbean, borrowings from Geek acronymised and txted; the salad cream smothering this mishmash of linguistic fastfood is the desire to at all costs sound streetwise.
Since English is not my first language, it's more difficult for me to distinguish between different accents. Of course, British vs. American is no problem, but I haven't reached the level where I can differentiate between North and South Dakota, and definitely not interstate differences.

But I want to improve my skills. This website is very helpful http://web.ku.edu/idea/europe/england

I'm listening to English accents now. I don't like cockney.
leopard
Nov26-08, 01:31 PM
Quote Quote by offtheleft View Post
i absolutely love the english/australian accent. especially on girls, i think its so enticing and attractive. i seriously melt when i hear it lol.
English and Australian are very different in my ears. I agree that both are attractive on girls. However, the British girls are horrible in general. The Vikings stole most of the good ones and brought them to Iceland.
Evo
Nov26-08, 01:44 PM
Mentor
P: 26,557
Australian can get to the point that you can't understand it. Actually I believe they were from New Zealand. I remember watching a tv show and the guy said "Oyshel doy". It wasn't until after watching it for several minutes that I figured out that what he said was "I shall die".
leopard
Nov26-08, 01:45 PM
Quote Quote by epenguin View Post
I like the West Country accent
Is Stoke and/or Warwickshire representative for Black Country accent?
D H
Nov26-08, 01:46 PM
Mentor
P: 15,170
Quote Quote by jms5631 View Post
The U.S midwestern accent is probally the blandest in my opinion(it's mine, Detroit area). Doesn't seem to have any real distinguishing charecteristics.
Umm, no. Here is where General American is spoken:

You LPers have an Inland North dialect twinged with a bit of Canadian (who live just a tad south of you), a bit of Southern (some of whom moved to Detroit in large numbers half a century ago), and even a bit of Scandihoovian.
Jimmy Snyder
Nov26-08, 01:53 PM
P: 2,179
Although English is spoken with an accent in all other places, we here in South Jersey speak with no accent at all. That's best.

Register to reply