Register to reply

Abbreviation for the Mole

by woosh9013
Tags: abbreviation, mole
Share this thread:
woosh9013
Dec5-08, 05:08 PM
P: 6
In high school, I remember one of my chemistry teachers abbreviating mole by drawing a line over an m. I haven't seen anyone else do that. I've seen mol. many many times in books and from most other teachers/professors. Is the m with the line some older method for symbolizing mole? Does anyone know where she came up with that method of abbreviation?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
Borek
Dec5-08, 05:52 PM
Admin
P: 23,594
Never seen that, and I was young many moons ago.
Joskoplas
Dec5-08, 05:57 PM
P: 32
The abbreviation, if you want to call it that, for mole is . . . 'mol'.

About as helpful as the abbreviation for dyne. ('dyn')

Whee! one less letter. :D

Are you sure your teacher wasn't talking about molar mass? That would be something like g/mol -- you know, as in the molar mass of water is about 18.0 g/mol.

Joskoplas
Dec5-08, 06:01 PM
Abbreviation for the Mole

And even then, for molar mass, [tex]\tilde{m}[/tex] is the symbol for the variable, not the unit itself. (That's supposed to be a bold m with a tilde over it, but I'm apparently having a bad Tex day.)
Riogho
Dec5-08, 07:38 PM
P: 125
I've seen mol abbreviated at m before, but never m with a bar over it. You could be integrating something possibly?
woosh9013
Dec5-08, 08:00 PM
P: 6
There was no integrating going on. It was extremely basic high school chemistry, and none of us knew any calculus at the time.

I'm positive she wasn't talking about molar mass. She used the abbreviation throughout the entire year, probably hundreds of times. She even told us that we could use the m with the line or mol., but not the m alone since that generally signifies meters.

I thought somebody would have seen that notation before. That's really weird. I guess I should stop using it.
Joskoplas
Dec5-08, 08:02 PM
Then there is the unfortunate possibility that your teacher was the one with the wires crossed. It happens. Even Einstein accidentally wrote E = MC hammer before he got it right.

Well, no, but you get the point.
Mentallic
Dec6-08, 06:13 AM
HW Helper
P: 3,540
Quote Quote by Joskoplas View Post
Even Einstein accidentally wrote E = MC hammer before he got it right.
Oh so thats how he does it! And I thought it took a genius

No I have never seen this abbreviation either. I'm sure you wont cramp your hand writing down an extra stroke for mol.

Register to reply