Science Fiction Movie and sound waves

In summary, as a science consultant for a science fiction movie, my advice to the producer would be to ensure that any explosion shown involves expanding gases rather than sound vibrations, as sound cannot travel in the vacuum of space. This would make the scene more scientifically accurate and believable.
ahrog

Homework Statement

In a science fiction movie, when a spaceship explodes, the vibrations from the sound nearly destroy a nearby spaceship. If you were the science consultant for the movie, what would your advice be for the producer?

Homework Equations

I don't think there are any

The Attempt at a Solution

This is more of a "what the heck are they referring to" kind of question. I don't understand what kind of advice they want in the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
ahrog said:

Homework Statement

In a science fiction movie, when a spaceship explodes, the vibrations from the sound nearly destroy a nearby spaceship. If you were the science consultant for the movie, what would your advice be for the producer?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is more of a "what the heck are they referring to" kind of question. I don't understand what kind of advice they want in the answer.

http://hypertextbook.com/physics/waves/sound/

Last edited by a moderator:
The link wouldn't load for me,(apparently the The network link was interrupted while negotiating a connection. Please try again.) but it did inspire the idea of space being like a vacuum, and that sound cannot travel in it, so the explosion due to sound wouldn't happen. Thanks :)

That would be the idea.

Good luck.

Making the word MEDIUM meaningful . . .
If you want to make a water wave, you need water.
If you want to make a rope wave, you need a _____
If you want to make a sound wave, you need ______

Well, I don't know why everyone's conecntrating on sound. The pressure wave from expanding gases will do nicely.

Perhaps the advice to the producer should be along the lines of "ensure you show an explosion with expanding gases".

1. What are the most common sound effects used in science fiction movies?

Some of the most common sound effects used in science fiction movies include laser blasts, explosions, spaceship engines, and other futuristic sounds.

2. How are sound effects created for science fiction movies?

Sound effects for science fiction movies are created using a variety of techniques, such as recording real-world sounds and manipulating them with computer software, or generating sounds entirely using digital tools.

3. Can sound waves really travel through space in science fiction movies?

In reality, sound waves cannot travel through the vacuum of space, as there is no medium for them to travel through. However, in science fiction movies, sound is often used to enhance the overall experience for the audience.

4. How do sound waves contribute to the overall atmosphere of science fiction movies?

Sound waves play a crucial role in creating the futuristic and otherworldly atmosphere of science fiction movies. They can evoke a sense of danger, excitement, or mystery, and help transport the audience to the world of the film.

5. Can sound waves be used to manipulate or control people's minds, as shown in some science fiction movies?

While there is currently no scientific evidence to support the idea of sound waves being used to control or manipulate the human mind, this concept is often explored in science fiction movies as a futuristic technology or ability.