Regular values of immersion.

• Thread starter WWGD
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Regular
In summary, if your map is an immersion and a is a regular value for the differential map F_*: T(X) -> R^2k, then F^-1 (a) is a finite set.
WWGD
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hi:
This problem should be relatively simple, but I have been going in circles, without
figuring out a solution:

If f:X->R^2k is an immersion

and a is a regular value for the differential map F_*: T(X) -> R^2k, where

F(x,v) = df_x(v). Then show F^-1 (a) is a finite set.

I have tried using the differential topology def. of degree of a map , where we calculate

the degree by substracting the number of points where the Jacobian has negative

determinant (orientation-reversing) minus the values where JF has positive determinant.

I think I am close, but not there.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Is it enough to say that for regular values, since f is a local diffeomorphism, it is

a covering map?. ( but we could always have infinitely many sheets in the cover...)

WWGD said:
Hi:
This problem should be relatively simple, but I have been going in circles, without
figuring out a solution:

If f:X->R^2k is an immersion

and a is a regular value for the differential map F_*: T(X) -> R^2k, where

F(x,v) = df_x(v). Then show F^-1 (a) is a finite set.

I have tried using the differential topology def. of degree of a map , where we calculate

the degree by substracting the number of points where the Jacobian has negative

determinant (orientation-reversing) minus the values where JF has positive determinant.

I think I am close, but not there.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.

Your question confuses me. An immersion I think by definition has all regular values. It Jacobian is a maximal rank everywhere. Maybe you are using a different definition of regular value.

You are right that since your map is a local diffeomorphism the inverse image of any point must be discrete. If X is compact then any discrete subset must be finite. If X is not compact this is not true. For instance the covering of the circle by the real line x -> exp(ix) is an immersion but the inverse image of each point is infinite.

Last edited:
"Your question confuses me. An immersion I think by definition has all regular values. It Jacobian is a maximal rank everywhere. Maybe you are using a different definition of regular value."

I was just considering the immersion to be in "standard position" for the inverse image
of a regular value to be a manifold, but I admit I did not explain that clearly.

Still, please put up with some innacuracies for a while, since I am still an analyst in Algebraic topology exile. Hope not for too long

1. What is a regular value of immersion?

A regular value of immersion is a point in the image of an immersion that is not a critical point. In other words, it is a point where the differential of the immersion is injective, which means that it preserves the dimension of the tangent spaces.

2. How are regular values of immersion important in mathematics?

Regular values of immersion are important in differential geometry and topology. They are used to study the topology of manifolds and to define invariants, such as the Euler characteristic and the Betti numbers.

3. Can regular values of immersion be non-generic?

Yes, regular values of immersion can be non-generic. This means that there are points in the image of the immersion that are regular values, but they are not generic in the sense that they do not form a dense set in the image.

4. How can regular values of immersion be calculated?

Regular values of immersion can be calculated by using the Sard's theorem. This theorem states that, for a smooth map between two manifolds, almost every point in the target space is a regular value of the map.

5. Are regular values of immersion unique?

No, regular values of immersion are not unique. This is because a single point in the target space can be a regular value for multiple immersions. However, for a fixed immersion, the set of regular values is unique.