Regular values of immersion.

by WWGD
Tags: immersion, regular, values
Share this thread:
WWGD
Mar13-09, 12:45 AM
P: 658
Hi:
This problem should be relatively simple, but I have been going in circles, without
figuring out a solution:

If f:X->R^2k is an immersion

and a is a regular value for the differential map F_*: T(X) -> R^2k, where

F(x,v) = df_x(v). Then show F^-1 (a) is a finite set.

I have tried using the differential topology def. of degree of a map , where we calculate

the degree by substracting the number of points where the Jacobian has negative

determinant (orientation-reversing) minus the values where JF has positive determinant.

I think I am close, but not there.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Office life' of bacteria may be their weak spot
Lunar explorers will walk at higher speeds than thought
Philips introduces BlueTouch, PulseRelief control for pain relief
WWGD
Mar13-09, 12:49 AM
Is it enough to say that for regular values, since f is a local diffeomorphism, it is

a covering map?. ( but we could always have infinitely many sheets in the cover...)
wofsy
Mar20-09, 05:14 PM
P: 707
Quote Quote by WWGD View Post
Hi:
This problem should be relatively simple, but I have been going in circles, without
figuring out a solution:

If f:X->R^2k is an immersion

and a is a regular value for the differential map F_*: T(X) -> R^2k, where

F(x,v) = df_x(v). Then show F^-1 (a) is a finite set.

I have tried using the differential topology def. of degree of a map , where we calculate

the degree by substracting the number of points where the Jacobian has negative

determinant (orientation-reversing) minus the values where JF has positive determinant.

I think I am close, but not there.

Any Ideas?

Thanks.
Your question confuses me. An immersion I think by definition has all regular values. It Jacobian is a maximal rank everywhere. Maybe you are using a different definition of regular value.

You are right that since your map is a local diffeomorphism the inverse image of any point must be discrete. If X is compact then any discrete subset must be finite. If X is not compact this is not true. For instance the covering of the circle by the real line x -> exp(ix) is an immersion but the inverse image of each point is infinite.

WWGD
Mar20-09, 05:30 PM
Regular values of immersion.

"Your question confuses me. An immersion I think by definition has all regular values. It Jacobian is a maximal rank everywhere. Maybe you are using a different definition of regular value."

I was just considering the immersion to be in "standard position" for the inverse image
of a regular value to be a manifold, but I admit I did not explain that clearly.

Still, please put up with some innacuracies for a while, since I am still an analyst in Algebraic topology exile. Hope not for too long

Register to reply