Thought experiment with static electricity

In summary, the principle behind this thought experiment is that charge can't just vanish from one place and appear somewhere else without going through some intermediate points.
credirt
Hi

Please excuse my poor electricity knowledge.. also if this is in the wrong place to post, let me know and I'll move

Someone raised this simple thought experiment with me and I want to understand better:

If you will, imagine a series of balls inside balls (ie multiple layers - for visualization: Russian doll-like) made of conducting material. In the middle (deepest ball) of said balls is a filament, which is holding a static electric charge. The filament is suspended and not touching the sides. Now: How would i be able to 'liberate' the static from the filament? I know that if I pressed the layers against the filamant I would create a circuit and the static would be released into my finger- but how could I do without contact? I.e. If I understood the polarity of the charge(using a magnetometer), would a magnet do the trick? Could I work out how strong and how close the magnet would need to be, if I measured the charge with an electromoter? Perhaps pull with magnet and then leech with a current... i dunno
What if the ball material was not conductive - would it be impossible to release the charge?

Thanks
Credirt

Physics news on Phys.org
Let me first tell you about a principle..
There is a principle called conservation of charge ..you might already have heard of it..
It means that if there is charge disappearing from somewhere, it should appear in the same quantity somewhere else..
But it runs deeper..we talk about local conservation of charge...it means charge can't go from point A to point B without going through all points of some curve joining the two..that is it can't just vanish from A and appear at B unless A and B are nearby points..

So..what do you think? Can we use a magnet to remove the charge if we have insulator material in the balls?

As far as conductors are concerned, read up on electrostatic shielding...

And maybe this question should have gone to the homework help section..

: First of all, I want to assure you that this is a great place to post your question and there is no need to apologize for your knowledge level. it is our job to help others understand and learn about different concepts, so I am happy to address your thought experiment.

To begin, let's first define what static electricity is. Static electricity is a buildup of electric charge on the surface of an object. This charge is typically caused by an imbalance of electrons on the surface of the object, which creates a potential difference between the object and its surroundings. This potential difference can cause sparks or shocks when the object comes into contact with another object or is discharged.

Now, let's apply this definition to your thought experiment. In this scenario, we have a series of balls made of conducting material, with a filament in the middle that is holding a static electric charge. The filament is suspended and not touching the sides, which means there is no direct path for the charge to flow and be released. This is similar to a charged balloon stuck to a wall - it will stay there until it is either discharged by touching it or the charge dissipates over time.

So, how can we "liberate" the static from the filament without contact? You mentioned using a magnetometer to measure the polarity of the charge. This could be a possible solution, as a magnet can interact with the electric field and cause the charge to move. However, the strength and distance of the magnet would need to be carefully calculated in order to successfully release the charge without causing any damage.

Another approach could be using an electric field to manipulate the charge. By applying a strong enough electric field in the opposite direction of the charge, it could potentially cause the charge to move and be released. However, this would require precise control and understanding of the charge's properties.

Now, what if the ball material was not conductive? In this case, it would be much more difficult to release the charge without contact. Since the material is not conductive, it would not allow the charge to flow through it, making it nearly impossible to manipulate the charge without direct contact.

In conclusion, while it may be possible to release the static charge from the filament without contact, it would require careful calculations, precise control, and a thorough understanding of the charge's properties. And if the ball material is not conductive, it would make the task even more challenging. I hope this explanation helps you better understand this thought experiment

1. How does a thought experiment with static electricity work?

A thought experiment with static electricity involves imagining a hypothetical scenario in which static electricity is used to explain a scientific concept or phenomenon. This allows scientists to explore and test ideas without the need for physical materials or experiments.

2. What are some common examples of thought experiments with static electricity?

One example is the "rubbing a balloon on your hair" experiment, which demonstrates the transfer of electrons and the resulting attraction between opposite charges. Another example is the "Van de Graaff generator" experiment, which shows how electric charges can accumulate on the surface of a conductor.

3. How do thought experiments with static electricity contribute to scientific understanding?

Thought experiments with static electricity allow scientists to explore and test ideas in a controlled and hypothetical environment. By using logic and reasoning, scientists can gain a deeper understanding of the underlying principles of static electricity and its effects.

4. Can thought experiments with static electricity be used to make predictions?

Yes, thought experiments with static electricity can be used to make predictions about how electric charges will behave in different scenarios. These predictions can then be tested through physical experiments to validate or refine the theory.

5. Are thought experiments with static electricity only used in the field of physics?

No, thought experiments with static electricity can also be applied in other fields such as chemistry, biology, and engineering. They can be used to explain various phenomena, such as the movement of ions in a solution or the formation of lightning in the atmosphere.