Register to reply

Optics: Leveling Components

by splitringtail
Tags: components, leveling, optics
Share this thread:
splitringtail
Jul23-09, 04:32 PM
P: 59
I have a apparatus with a thin electrode that is suppose to be parallel with surface beneath it. I can level the surface, but you cannot put a level on this electrode.

I was thinking have like a block precisely made to the expected distance between the electrode and bottom to determine the alignment, but I was thinking if I was not careful I could damage the electrode.

Another thought, maybe use a laser level and calibrated to the level surface, then some how move it up to the elevation of the electrode to check its alignment. However, I have heard that even the levels used by contractors are not very precise and can be quite cumbersome in those applications.

I was wondering if there is any specialized instrumentation and/or produces used in the laboratory setting. I figure those who work in optics have developed something, but I cannot find any information on the issue.

I would prefer to get some direction/recommendation for literature and documentation.

Thank You
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
'Comb on a chip' powers new atomic clock design
Quantum leap in lasers brightens future for quantum computing
Enhanced NIST instrument enables high-speed chemical imaging of tissues
mgb_phys
Jul23-09, 04:53 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 8,955
To get it parallel you can either measure the distance electrode-substrate at each end
Using something like this http://www.sensorland.com/HowPage056.html is fairly cheap and accurate to <1um and non-contact. Or you can use an old fashioned travelling microscope to do the same thing.

Another apporach if your electrode is reflective enough is to shine a laser at each end (eg slide the unit under a fixed laser) and measure the distance apart the reflected spots appear on the ceiling. With a bit of trig and assumign the position of the laser is fixed you can work out the slope of the electrode.

Register to reply