Related rate expanding rectangle

by synergix
Tags: expanding, rate, rectangle
Share this thread:
synergix
Oct25-09, 01:47 PM
P: 178
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
The length of a rectangle is increasing at a rate of 8cm/s and its width is increasing at a rate of 3cm/s when the length is 20 cm and the width is 10cm, how fast is the area of the rectangle increasing?

2. Relevant equations

V=LW

3. The attempt at a solution

dL/dt=8 dW/dt=3
l=20 w= 10
dA/dt=?

(V=LW)'

dA/dt= dL/dt * dW/dt

before I go any further is this correct both the L and the W become one when derived right?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Physical constant is constant even in strong gravitational fields
Montreal VR headset team turns to crowdfunding for Totem
Researchers study vital 'on/off switches' that control when bacteria turn deadly
Dick
Oct25-09, 02:03 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 25,235
A(t)=L(t)W(t), right? Take a look at the 'product rule'. And why would the derivative of L and W be 1???
synergix
Oct25-09, 02:12 PM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
A(t)=L(t)W(t), right? Take a look at the 'product rule'. And why would the derivative of L and W be 1???
I have really just not been using my brain lately. They would be one if they were being added which they're not. (x + a)'= 2 does it not? if they are both variables.

And you have t in parenthesis to make clear that L and W and A change with time and are therefore not constants right?

so according to the product rule->

dA/dt=L(dW/dt)+W(dW/dt)

Dick
Oct25-09, 02:19 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Related rate expanding rectangle

Quote Quote by synergix View Post
I have really just not been using my brain lately. They would be one if they were being added which they're not. (x + a)'= 2 does it not? if they are both variables.

And you have t in parenthesis to make clear that L and W and A change with time and are therefore not constants right?

so according to the product rule->

dA/dt=L(dW/dt)+W(dW/dt)
Ok, you've got the product rule. But (x+a)'=x'+a' if by ' you mean d/dt. Whether that's 2 or not depends what x and a are. dx/dx=1 but dx/dt doesn't necessarily equal 1.
synergix
Oct25-09, 02:22 PM
Ok I was just using the power rule (x^1 + a^1)'= 1*x^0 + 1*a^0= 1+1
am I assuming something here I shouldn't be?
Dick
Oct25-09, 02:24 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
d(x(t)^1)/dt=1*x(t)^0*dx/dt, chain rule again.
synergix
Oct25-09, 02:29 PM
Could you explain quickly why you need to use the chain rule here?
Dick
Oct25-09, 02:34 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
Because x(t) is a function of t. d(x^1)/dx is 1*x^0 (though you could still throw the chain rule in and write it as 1*x^0*dx/dx, but dx/dx=1). d(x^1)/dt=1*x^0*dx/dt. dx/dx is always 1. dx/dt is not.
synergix
Oct25-09, 02:37 PM
Quote Quote by Dick View Post
Because x(t) is a function of t. d(x^1)/dx is 1*x^0 (though you could still throw the chain rule in and write it as 1*x^0*dx/dx, but dx/dx=1). d(x^1)/dt=1*x*dx/dt. dx/dx is always 1. dx/dt is not.
Ok thank you its starting to come together.

Register to reply