Fourier Series

by Juggler123
Tags: fourier, series
Share this thread:
Juggler123
Nov27-09, 08:35 AM
P: 82
I need to find the fourier series for the function f;

0 if -[tex]\pi[/tex] [tex]\prec[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] -[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

1+x if -[tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] [tex]\prec[/tex] x [tex]\prec[/tex] [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex]

0 if [tex]\frac{\pi}{2}[/tex] [tex]\leq[/tex] x [tex]\leq[/tex] [tex]\pi[/tex]

I've never done a fourier series computation before so I don't really know if any of what I'm doing is correct.

I've got than a(0)=1, a(n)=[tex]\frac{2sin\frac{n\pi}{2}}{n\pi}[/tex] and
b(n)=[tex]\frac{2sin\frac{n\pi}{2}}{n^{2}\pi}[/tex] - [tex]\frac{cos\frac{n\pi}{2}}{n}[/tex]

I know the formula for a fourier series but none of the examples I've seen are in the form of the a(n) and b(n) that I've got so I don't know where to go next.
Could anyone help please? Thankyou.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
HallsofIvy
Nov27-09, 08:52 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,317
You are going to use the fact that [itex]sin(n\pi/2)= 0[/itex] if n is even, aren't you? And that [itex]sin(n\pi/2)= 1[/itex] if n is "congruent to 1 mod 4" (i.e. n= 4k+ 1 for some integer k) while [itex]sin(n\pi/2)= -1[/itex] if n is "contruent to 3 mod 4" (i.e. n= 4k+ 3 for some k. That is, [itex]a_2= 0[/itex], [itex]a_3= -1/3\pi[/itex], [itex]a_4= 0[/itex], [itex]a_5= 1/5\pi[/itex], etc.

Like wise [itex]cos(n\pi/2)= 0[/itex] if n is odd, [itex]cos(n\pi/2)= 1[/itex] if n is "congruent to 2 mod 4" (divisible by 2 but not by 4), and [itex]cos(n\pi/2)= -1[/itex] if n is "congruent to 0 mod 4" (divisible by 4). Notice that for all n, one of the [itex](2sin(n\pi)/2)/n\pi[/itex] or [itex]cos(n\pi/2)/n\pi[/itex] is 0 so you are not actually "subtracting".
Juggler123
Nov28-09, 07:15 AM
P: 82
I can see the sequences that a(n) and b(n) make, but I can't write down a formula for them. I'm using trial and error really but I can't find any functions dependent on n that will describe the sequences a(n) and b(n) exactly. Is there a formula for caculating these type of functions?

HallsofIvy
Nov28-09, 09:26 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,317
Fourier Series

You said that a(n)= [tex]\frac{2sin\frac{n\pi}{2}}{n\pi}[/tex]

Since [itex]sin(n\pi/2)= 0[/itex] for n even, for a(n) to be non-zero, n must be of the form 2k+1 for some integer, k. But then [itex]sin(n\pi/2)= sin((2k+1)\pi/2)= sin(k\pi+ \pi/2)= 1[/itex] if k is even and -1 if k is odd. That is, [itex]sin((2k+1)\pi/2)= (-1)^k[/itex].

So a(n)= 0 if n is even and, if n is odd, n= 2k+1, [itex]a(n)= a(2k+1)= 2(-1)^k/(2k+1)\pi[/itex]. You could write the Fourier cosine series as
[tex]1+ \sum_{k=0}^\infty \frac{2(-1)^k}{(2k+1}\pi} cos((2k+1)x)[/itex].

The sine series, [itex]\sum b_n sin(nx)[/itex] is a little more complicated but the same idea.

Register to reply