Plane equation perpendicular to line

In summary, the equation of the plane containing the line (x,y,z)=(5+4t, -5-3t,2) and perpendicular to the line (x,y,z)=(2-3t,3-4t,5+7t) can be found by taking the cross product of vectors (4,-3,0) and (-3,-4,7) to get a normal vector <-3,-4,7>. Then, using a point on the line (x,y,z)=(5+4t, -5-3t,2) and the normal vector, the equation of the plane can be found by dotting the vector (x-9,y+8,z-2) with the normal
esmmajor
1. Find the equation of the plane containing the line (x,y,z)=(5+4t, -5-3t,2) and perpendicular to the line (x,y,z)=(2-3t,3-4t,5+7t).

Homework Equations

Cross product? Dot product? Ax+By+Cz=D?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really new with this material and any aid would be greatly appreciated. The only thing I can think of to do would be the cross product of (4,-3,0) and (-3, -4, 7).

Physics news on Phys.org
A normal to the plane is <-3, -4, 7>, which I got from the equation of the perpendicular line. You're given that the plane contains the line (x, y, z) = (5 + 4t, -5 - 3t, 2), so it should be a simple matter to find a point on this line, which I will call (x0, y0, z0). Once you have a point on a plane and a normal to the plane, the equation of the plane can be gotten by dotting the vector (x - x0, y - y0, z - z0) with the plane's normal vector.

Why do I need to dot the vector? Is this correct?

@ t=1, a point on the line l1=(9,-8,2)

(x-9,y+8,z-2) (dot) (-3,-4,7)=-3(x-9)-4(y+8)+7(z-2)=0

FAQ: Plane equation perpendicular to line

1. What is a plane equation perpendicular to a line?

A plane equation perpendicular to a line is a mathematical representation of a plane that intersects a given line at a 90 degree angle, also known as a right angle.

2. How is the plane equation perpendicular to a line different from a regular plane equation?

The main difference is that a regular plane equation does not have a specific line that it is perpendicular to, whereas the plane equation perpendicular to a line is defined by its relationship to a given line.

3. What information is needed to write a plane equation perpendicular to a line?

To write a plane equation perpendicular to a line, you will need the coordinates of a point on the line, as well as the direction vector of the line.

4. How do you find the perpendicular plane equation of a line in 3D space?

To find the perpendicular plane equation of a line in 3D space, you can use the point-normal form of a plane equation. This involves finding a normal vector to the line, and then using the coordinates of a point on the line to write the equation.

5. What are the applications of a plane equation perpendicular to a line?

A plane equation perpendicular to a line has various applications in geometry, physics, and engineering. It can be used to determine the shortest distance between a point and a line, to find the intersection point of two lines, and in 3D modeling and computer graphics.

Back