What is the speed fo time.

by connect
Tags: speed, time
connect
Aug4-04, 06:45 PM
P: 72
I am assuming that time is constant?

What I mean is that it is impossible to stop time as time is a result of things changing.

Or maybe changing things is a result of time.

If you 'really' think about it, time is a word to describe a concept, but that concept is built on top of an underlying notion. Any theory of everything needs to exist in a framework which is never ending.

I mean before going into numbers a 'puesdo' expression of the notion needs to be agreed.

The theory of everything question is really 'what is reality'.

From a physics perspective reality is consists of:

Time
Space
Movement

The above 3 are brought together by a point or mass to describle the motion of 'reality'.

Modern physics is dogmatised by the wonderfully complex 'Movement' aspect but it has not really started on the 'Time' or 'Space' aspects.

What I mean is that physics tends to take the concepts of 'Time' and 'Space' for granted in favour of their combined effect, 'Movement'.

To reiterate my point:

How long is a period of time and what is the distance of some space?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
Gokul43201
Aug4-04, 06:47 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,154
Quote Quote by connect
What is the speed of time ?
1 second per second.
connect
Aug4-04, 06:50 PM
It reminds me of the 'how long is a piece of string' question.....the answer to that of course is:

2 * ( L / 2 ) = L

or

( 2 * L ) / 2 = L

where L = the length of a piece of a string.

connect
Aug4-04, 07:05 PM

What is the speed fo time.

Hmm, i thought it was 'speed' of time might be its 'rate' or 'frequency'.

Like 60 seconds per 1 minute.
Mk
Aug4-04, 08:33 PM
P: 2,057
Quote Quote by connect
No one knows if time is constant
Mk
Aug4-04, 08:35 PM
P: 2,057
Quote Quote by connect
What is the speed of time.
Time is not consistant in speed either.
Hurkyl
Aug4-04, 08:50 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 16,101
1 second per second.
I was just gonna say "1".
Chronos
Aug4-04, 08:50 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,185
Since time is relative [no way out of that], try

[tex]t = \frac{t_0}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
LURCH
Aug4-04, 09:14 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,507
The speed of time relative to any observer is dependant upon the speed of the other dimensions to that observer. The total speed of all the dimensions will equal c, but the distribution of that total speed among the four dimensions is frame-dependant.
4newton
Aug5-04, 12:19 AM
P: 197
Time is the result of our transition outward from the Big Bang. Our transition outward from the Big Bang is independent from the spatial dimension and is occurring in a dimension that we call the time dimension.

Independent dimensions are perpendicular to each other as we see with independent spatial dimensions. We see this same perpendicularity with the time dimension.

Velocity = distance per unit of time

If you plot this you find that time is perpendicular to all spatial directions.

The rate of the transition outward from the Big Bang, time, is equal to the speed of light. The speed of light is the maximum for all transitions in the universe, including our transition in the time dimension.

The equation for the difference of position in Space-time is.

[ X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2 – C^2 * T^2 ]

This equation result in a difference of position that is ( distance ). Time is converted to distance my multiplying ( time ) , seconds, by the speed of light ( C ) , distance / seconds.

The equation also indicates that we are in transition at the speed of light in the time dimension when multiplying by the speed of light results in the proper conversion to distance.
4newton
Aug5-04, 12:25 AM
[quote=Chronos]
[tex]t = \frac{t_0}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]
This is not an equation of time this is an equation of the actions of clocks.
Chronos
Aug5-04, 02:00 AM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 9,185
Quote Quote by 4newton
Feel free to offer a 'clockless' definition of time.
whydoyouwanttoknow
Aug5-04, 02:04 AM
P: 43
Time is dependent on your velocity and how much gravity you are under.

For you 1 second will always be 1 second. You will see other people's time running faster or slower though.
4newton
Aug5-04, 02:11 PM
Quote Quote by Chronos
Feel free to offer a 'clockless' definition of time.
I did give you a “clockless” definition see post #10
omin
Aug5-04, 06:03 PM
P: 284
With a grain of salt, I brackishly repy:

Quote Quote by connect
Time can be explained using the concept work.

Work is force x distance.

Time's unit may be based upon a circumstance where the same force occurs across the same distance repeatedly. a constant time unit = F x d.

A water clock: Consecutive drips of water are released by specific pressure from a container. The water accelerates toward the center of the earth at the same rate. Each water drop falls the same distance. They make a dripping sound at the end of the same distance.

Mass is constant in the waterdrops. The pressure releasing the waterdrops is constant. Gravity creates constant acceleration for each falling waterdrop. The distance between the container and where the "drop" sound occurs is constant. Therefore the expression of physical time is constant and may be used as a basis to quantify speed, acceleration, momentum, impulse, work, energy of other things.

The water drops over the same distance, which could be stated in common terms: Each drop travels the same amount of time.

The "drip" sound happens at equal intervals, which could be stated in common terms: The "drip" sounds are separated by the same amount of time.

F x d is a second. A second is time. Time is where something constant occurs.
sparkster
Aug5-04, 06:18 PM
P: 153
Quote Quote by 4newton
Einstein said that time was what you measure with a clock.

(he also that distance is what you measure with a ruler)
connect
Aug6-04, 01:49 AM
I think we might be thinking things backwards.

The most basic way to describe 'time' as a physics concept is simply one 'state' after another 'state'.

A 'state' being a 'point' along a time 'line'.

This 'point' is an expression (state) of the 'properties' of the object being observed, i.e. at that point in time.

If 2 different events happen at the same place AND the same time (i.e. the properties of the 2 object events being observed are the same) they are by definition the same event.

This may sound obvious, but that is my point!

What I am trying to say is that all movement is 'defined' by 'space' and 'time'.

Again, this may sound obvious.

The most simple 'model' for the universe is a 'matrix' of 'universal turing machines' that 'tick'.

What I am saying is that space is most likely to be infinite, and time also infinite.

Again, this may sound obvious, but this is why I am repeating.

What I am trying to say is that the equasions that bring up infinite answers are likely to happen the way we are looking at things.

Imagine if the universe was made up of tiny little spheres (like the ones predicted by string theory) tick/tocking in unison, the perpetual motion of energy.

Just define one sphere (like a TV pixel) and create endless copies in a 3-d matrix.

Then all space can represent any configuration of energy.

To summarise, the universe as simple as possible is a 'fixed matrix of spheres' that have a set of 'atomic operations' to perpetuate energy.
Erus
Aug8-04, 07:01 PM
P: 39
The speed of time is a good question.. But I like to think of time as tempature. What is hot to one, could be cold to another, or warm to someone else. What is an hour to one, could be 10 to another, or a decade to someone else.

Register to reply