How Do Physics Theories Explain Time and Space?

In summary, time is a relative concept that is based on the rate at which force is applied across a fixed distance.
connect
What is the speed of time.

I am assuming that time is constant?

What I mean is that it is impossible to stop time as time is a result of things changing.

Or maybe changing things is a result of time.

If you 'really' think about it, time is a word to describe a concept, but that concept is built on top of an underlying notion. Any theory of everything needs to exist in a framework which is never ending.

I mean before going into numbers a 'puesdo' expression of the notion needs to be agreed.

The theory of everything question is really 'what is reality'.

From a physics perspective reality is consists of:

Time
Space
Movement

The above 3 are brought together by a point or mass to describle the motion of 'reality'.

Modern physics is dogmatised by the wonderfully complex 'Movement' aspect but it has not really started on the 'Time' or 'Space' aspects.

What I mean is that physics tends to take the concepts of 'Time' and 'Space' for granted in favour of their combined effect, 'Movement'.

To reiterate my point:

How long is a period of time and what is the distance of some space?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
connect said:
What is the speed of time ?

1 second per second. :wink:

It reminds me of the 'how long is a piece of string' question...the answer to that of course is:

2 * ( L / 2 ) = L

or

( 2 * L ) / 2 = L

where L = the length of a piece of a string.

Hmm, i thought it was 'speed' of time might be its 'rate' or 'frequency'.

Like 60 seconds per 1 minute.

connect said:

No one knows if time is constant

connect said:
What is the speed of time.

Time is not consistant in speed either.

1 second per second.

I was just going to say "1". :smile:

Since time is relative [no way out of that], try

[tex]t = \frac{t_0}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

The speed of time relative to any observer is dependant upon the speed of the other dimensions to that observer. The total speed of all the dimensions will equal c, but the distribution of that total speed among the four dimensions is frame-dependant.

Real Time

Time is the result of our transition outward from the Big Bang. Our transition outward from the Big Bang is independent from the spatial dimension and is occurring in a dimension that we call the time dimension.

Independent dimensions are perpendicular to each other as we see with independent spatial dimensions. We see this same perpendicularity with the time dimension.

Velocity = distance per unit of time

If you plot this you find that time is perpendicular to all spatial directions.

The rate of the transition outward from the Big Bang, time, is equal to the speed of light. The speed of light is the maximum for all transitions in the universe, including our transition in the time dimension.

The equation for the difference of position in Space-time is.

[ X^2 + Y^2 + Z^2 – C^2 * T^2 ]

This equation result in a difference of position that is ( distance ). Time is converted to distance my multiplying ( time ) , seconds, by the speed of light ( C ) , distance / seconds.

The equation also indicates that we are in transition at the speed of light in the time dimension when multiplying by the speed of light results in the proper conversion to distance.

Chronos said:
[tex]t = \frac{t_0}{\sqrt{1 - v^2/c^2}}[/tex]

This is not an equation of time this is an equation of the actions of clocks.

4Newton said:

Feel free to offer a 'clockless' definition of time.

Time is dependent on your velocity and how much gravity you are under.

For you 1 second will always be 1 second. You will see other people's time running faster or slower though.

Real time

Chronos said:
Feel free to offer a 'clockless' definition of time.

I did give you a “clockless” definition see post #10

With a grain of salt, I brackishly repy:

connect said:

Time can be explained using the concept work.

Work is force x distance.

Time's unit may be based upon a circumstance where the same force occurs across the same distance repeatedly. a constant time unit = F x d.

A water clock: Consecutive drips of water are released by specific pressure from a container. The water accelerates toward the center of the Earth at the same rate. Each water drop falls the same distance. They make a dripping sound at the end of the same distance.

Mass is constant in the waterdrops. The pressure releasing the waterdrops is constant. Gravity creates constant acceleration for each falling waterdrop. The distance between the container and where the "drop" sound occurs is constant. Therefore the expression of physical time is constant and may be used as a basis to quantify speed, acceleration, momentum, impulse, work, energy of other things.

The water drops over the same distance, which could be stated in common terms: Each drop travels the same amount of time.

The "drip" sound happens at equal intervals, which could be stated in common terms: The "drip" sounds are separated by the same amount of time.

F x d is a second. A second is time. Time is where something constant occurs.

4Newton said:
Einstein said that time was what you measure with a clock.

(he also that distance is what you measure with a ruler)

I think we might be thinking things backwards.

The most basic way to describe 'time' as a physics concept is simply one 'state' after another 'state'.

A 'state' being a 'point' along a time 'line'.

This 'point' is an expression (state) of the 'properties' of the object being observed, i.e. at that point in time.

If 2 different events happen at the same place AND the same time (i.e. the properties of the 2 object events being observed are the same) they are by definition the same event.

This may sound obvious, but that is my point!

What I am trying to say is that all movement is 'defined' by 'space' and 'time'.

Again, this may sound obvious.

The most simple 'model' for the universe is a 'matrix' of 'universal turing machines' that 'tick'.

What I am saying is that space is most likely to be infinite, and time also infinite.

Again, this may sound obvious, but this is why I am repeating.

What I am trying to say is that the equations that bring up infinite answers are likely to happen the way we are looking at things.

Imagine if the universe was made up of tiny little spheres (like the ones predicted by string theory) tick/tocking in unison, the perpetual motion of energy.

Just define one sphere (like a TV pixel) and create endless copies in a 3-d matrix.

Then all space can represent any configuration of energy.

To summarise, the universe as simple as possible is a 'fixed matrix of spheres' that have a set of 'atomic operations' to perpetuate energy.

Last edited:
The speed of time is a good question.. But I like to think of time as tempature. What is hot to one, could be cold to another, or warm to someone else. What is an hour to one, could be 10 to another, or a decade to someone else.

connect said:
What is the speed of time

Also, what is the height of speed ?

lol the height of speed.. that question is boggling. Speed itself is not a dimension, it's a force.. rather velocity. You can make a cone out of speed, like a water ripple. The car starts at 0 and makes it to 60MPH. The tip of the cone would be at 0MPH when the car wasn't traveling any distance, and the mouth of the cone would be at 60MPH. The length of the cone would depend on how long it took the vehicle to get from 0 to 60, the depth of the cone would depend on how much velocity the vehicle picked up in the amount of time. Speed has a capacity however, and this is the speed of light. I wonder how slow one can travel?

Erus said:
I wonder how slow one can travel?

Interesting question, if we where to stay in the same place all the time, would we grow?

In production engineering there is the problem of the perfect circle, i.e. how do you know if you have machined a perfect circle? The problems is the old chicken and egg question, we can't know if its a perfect circle because we do not have a pre-made perfect circle to compare against the one that is manufactured.

What I mean by that is that reality might have a fixed rhythm which is difficult for us to reproduce 'mechanically', saying that we don't do to bad considering how much we depend on the reliabilty of simple clocks.

Erus, welcome aboard - you may want to have your irony detector looked at. It doesn't appear to be working...

1. What do you mean by the "speed of time"?

The speed of time refers to the rate at which time passes or the rate at which events occur.

2. Can time really have a speed?

The concept of time having a speed is a theoretical concept in physics that is still being studied and debated. It is not a literal speed that can be measured with a stopwatch.

3. How is the speed of time measured?

The speed of time is not currently a measurable quantity. However, some theories suggest that it could be measured by comparing the rate of time in different reference frames or by studying the effects of gravity on time.

4. Is the speed of time constant?

According to the theory of relativity, the speed of time can vary depending on factors such as gravity and relative motion. In some cases, time can appear to slow down or speed up, but it is always consistent within a specific reference frame.

5. Can the speed of time be changed?

There is currently no known way to intentionally change the speed of time. However, some theories suggest that certain conditions, such as extreme gravity, could potentially affect the speed of time.