Register to reply

Perpetual Motion

by justjoshus
Tags: motion, perpetual
Share this thread:
justjoshus
Jul7-10, 03:49 PM
P: 1
What do you call and where can i buy the set of balls (maybe 4 or 5) suspended in strings and when the outermost ball hits the the next one and bounces off the last one on the other end and sets off perpetual motion? I surely appreciate any ones response. Thank you. Josh
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
Doc Al
Jul7-10, 03:55 PM
Mentor
P: 41,453
Do a search on "Newton's Cradle" or "Newton's Balls".
Dadface
Jul7-10, 03:56 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
Hello justjoshus.You are describing "Newtons cradle" so try googling for suppliers.There is no such thing as perpetual motion and the balls in Newtons cradle stop eventually.

alxm
Jul7-10, 04:00 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 1,866
Perpetual Motion

I wonder how long it'd go on in a vacuum. I'm guessing air resistance is by far the biggest source of losses.
I'm guessing it'd go on for a surprising amount of time. Anyone got a high vacuum to try it out in?
Dadface
Jul7-10, 04:03 PM
PF Gold
P: 2,022
It would go on for longer in a vacuum but another major source of energy loss is due to the fact that during impact the balls get slightly distorted.
Archosaur
Jul7-10, 10:08 PM
P: 328
Quote Quote by Dadface View Post
It would go on for longer in a vacuum but another major source of energy loss is due to the fact that during impact the balls get slightly distorted.
Which generates heat and sound (which dissipates as heat).
ezrsedthndun
Aug6-10, 05:59 AM
P: 1
if magnets are involved in any mechanism of motion but it kept the motion consistant from other variables is it still considered perpetual motion??

Register to reply