by ikaal
Tags: curl, inverse
Share this thread:
ikaal
Aug14-10, 09:02 PM
P: 1
I want to express A as a function of B in the following equation:

curl{A}=B

So I need the inverse of the curl operator, but I don't know if it exist.

Thanks.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
World's largest solar boat on Greek prehistoric mission
Google searches hold key to future market crashes
Mineral magic? Common mineral capable of making and breaking bonds
Curl
Aug14-10, 09:48 PM
P: 757
It's called vector potential
Redbelly98
Aug14-10, 11:14 PM
Mentor
P: 12,070
There is no unique solution for A. You can always add a vector field of zero curl to one solution and get another solution.

HallsofIvy
Aug15-10, 05:42 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,345
Inverse of the curl

If A= f(x,y,z)i+ g(x,y,z)j+ h(x,y,z)k then curl A = (h_y- g_z)i+ (f_z- h_x)j+ (g_x- f_y)k.

If you are given that curl A= B= p(x,y,z)i+ q(x,y,z)j+ r(x, y, z)k then you must solve the system of equation h_y- g_z= p, f_z- h_x= q, g_x- f_y= r.

Since those are partial differential equations, the "constants of integration" will be functions of x, y, z. That is why, as RedBelly98 says, "You can always add a vector field of zero curl".
arildno
Aug15-10, 06:20 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 12,016
Note that this non-uniqueness is not something that is a strange facet by the vector potential only.

You know of it from before, as the so-called "constant of integration".
When doing partials, functions of the other variables will be "constants" with respect to that variable you have differentiated with respect to.

A far more important question, though, is, not uniqueness vs. non-uniqueness, but existence vs. non-existence of the vector potential(s)!

Do you know, given B, how to be certain that at least one "A" exists?
Anthony
Aug16-10, 03:54 PM
P: 83
Quote Quote by ikaal View Post
I want to express A as a function of B in the following equation:

curl{A}=B

So I need the inverse of the curl operator, but I don't know if it exist.

Thanks.
Consider the vector field defined by:

[tex] \mathbf{A}(\mathbf{x}) = \int_0^1 \mathbf{B}(\lambda \mathbf{x}) \wedge (\lambda\mathbf{x})\, \mathrm{d}\lambda[/tex].

You might like to show that if [tex]\nabla\cdot\mathbf{B}=0[/tex], then [tex]\nabla \wedge \mathbf{A} = \mathbf{B}[/tex]. Obviously this [tex]\mathbf{A}[/tex] is not unique.

Register to reply