Register to reply

The nature of light from colored(visual) materials

by chris2112
Tags: coloredvisual, light, materials, nature
Share this thread:
chris2112
Jan31-11, 10:34 PM
P: 16
My question stems from the visual perception of color. First I'd like to clarify what we're seeing. When we see that a material is a certain color does this mean that it's constitute atoms are continuously absorbing certain wave lengths/energy levels of light and blocking out/bouncing the left over wave lengths to our eyes? or does the light that the atoms emit after absorption have more to do with it? My question was really sparked by wondering why colors are continuous. Are materials constantly absorbing/bouncing off certain wavelengths? or is there a continuous exchange of absorb/emit? or both? or neither? or somewhere in between? lol just curious. I couldn't exactly find the answer of what wavelengths we actually see and why...
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Symphony of nanoplasmonic and optical resonators produces laser-like light emission
Do we live in a 2-D hologram? New Fermilab experiment will test the nature of the universe
Duality principle is 'safe and sound': Researchers clear up apparent violation of wave-particle duality
antistrophy
Jan31-11, 11:06 PM
P: 21
This website is fantastic, tho I haven't figured it all out yet.

http://www.webexhibits.org/causesofcolor/index.html
Vanadium 50
Feb1-11, 01:30 AM
Mentor
P: 16,346
This is a very complex question, and it's been studied by many famous people, like Edwin Land and Thomas Young. antistrophy's web site is quite good.

The key concept is to understand color is a perception, not a physical property. Different physical properties of light contribute differently to this perception.

Register to reply