Surjective functions

by SD123
Tags: functions, surjective
Share this thread:
SD123
Mar10-11, 02:12 AM
P: 3
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
i) Show explicitly that any non-injective function with a right inverse has another right inverse
ii) Give an example of a function which has (at least) two distinct left inverses

2. Relevant equations
i) I don't believe there are any.
ii) "

3. The attempt at a solution
i) Since it says "explicitly" I doubt that my attempt would count as a solution even if it were correct, but here it is;

Since the function is non-injective and has a right inverse, it must therefore be surjective as it cannot be bijective, and in order for this function to be surjective it must have at least one more right inverse.

I also tried showing first that f(x) = x^3 - x is non-injective and then showing that the values x = -1,0,1 map to f(x) = 0 that I would be showing this is true but I am not sure if it is correct.

ii) For this I am really not sure if there is an easier way to do it apart from trial and error but I understand the theory behind it.

Thanks in advance,
SD123
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
'Smart material' chin strap harvests energy from chewing
King Richard III died painfully on battlefield
Capturing ancient Maya sites from both a rat's and a 'bat's eye view'
HallsofIvy
Mar10-11, 04:25 AM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 39,682
Try something as simple as this: f:{a, b, c}--> {x, y} defined by f(a)= x,f(b)= x, f(c)= y. g:{x, y}-->{a, b, c}, defined by g(x)= a, g(y)= c is a right inverse.

Think about that example to prove (i). However, note that an example is NOT a general proof.

Register to reply