Distance between a point on a sphere and a great circle arc

In summary, the conversation is about a software engineer struggling with a math problem at work and looking for a solution using unit vectors. They are hoping to find a way to determine the distance between two points on a spherical Earth and a third point. A suggestion is made to check the angle between certain points to determine the closest point to C. Another person offers a thesis with similar calculations that may be helpful.
Fredster
Hi all,

Let me state up front that I'm a math idiot. I minored in it in college 20+ years ago and haven't needed it as a software engineer...until now.

I'm trying to solve a problem for work that's got me pulling my hair out, mostly because I'm having to relearn so much math I'd forgotten. What I'm currently struggling with is this:

Given two points (A and B) on the Earth, which I can assume is spherical because my calculations don't have to be super-accurate, imagine the minor great circle arc connecting them. If I have a third point C, I'd like to know the distance between AB and C. I know how to find the distance between C and the great circle itself, but that's not exactly what I need unless C happens to be perpendicular to the great circle somewhere along AB. Chances are very good that C will most often actually be closest to A or B.

I've been doing all my other work with these points as unit vectors instead of lat/lon, and if there's a solution to my problem that's easily done with vectors, I'd like to do it that way. I've implemented the algorithm here:

http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/51785.html

and what I'm really hoping is that I can just put a couple of checks at the beginning to see if C happens to be closest to A or B before doing those calculations. In a linear system, I can use the dot product to determine where C lies relative to AB, and I suspect (or at least hope!) that something similar can be done in a spherical system. I just don't know what to do.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help out, and please use small words because l'm easily confused. :)

Physics news on Phys.org
To make a stab at answering my own question, if I calculate the angle O between BC and BA and it's greater than 90 degrees, B is the closest point to C; the same would apply to the angle between AC and AB.

Am I at least in the vicinity of a workable solution?

Hi Fredster,

I'm not a math expert either. But in my Master's thesis I made some calculations that seem similar to your request. You can find it here:
http://www.ai.rug.nl/~axel/publ.html
It is the link at the bottom of the page ("Speeding up the computation...").
Please let me know if this is of any help to you.

Regards,
Axel Brink.

1. What is the definition of a great circle arc?

A great circle arc is the shortest distance between two points on a sphere, where the center of the sphere is also the center of the arc.

2. How is the distance between a point on a sphere and a great circle arc calculated?

The distance between a point on a sphere and a great circle arc can be calculated using the haversine formula, which takes into account the radius of the sphere, the latitude and longitude coordinates of the two points, and the central angle between them.

3. How does the distance between a point on a sphere and a great circle arc differ from the distance between two points on a flat surface?

The distance between two points on a sphere and a great circle arc is longer than the distance between two points on a flat surface, as the sphere is a three-dimensional object and the shortest distance between two points on a sphere is along its curved surface.

4. Can the distance between a point on a sphere and a great circle arc be negative?

No, the distance between a point on a sphere and a great circle arc is always positive, as it is a measurement of length and cannot be negative.

5. How is the distance between a point on a sphere and a great circle arc used in real-world applications?

The distance between a point on a sphere and a great circle arc is used in various applications, such as navigation and flight planning, as it helps determine the most efficient and shortest route between two points on a curved surface.