Register to reply

Transverse Wave Calculations

by KatieKT
Tags: calculate, cos, transverse, wave, wavelength
Share this thread:
KatieKT
Mar25-11, 12:58 AM
P: 4
A transverse wave is described by the expression y= 0.05cos(4.19x-1260t). You may assume all measurements are in the correct SI units.
A) What is the amplitude of this wave?
B) What is the wavelength of this wave?
C) How fast is the wave travelling?
D) What is the maximum tranverse velocity of the wave?

Relevant equations: y= a sin (b(x-c)) +d
Lamda= velocity/frequency
Velocity= delta x/ time

A) the amplitude is 0.05 as "a" in the formula is always amplitude.

I am having trouble figuring out the last three questions but. How you do figure out the wavelength? Do you have to draw the wave on a quadrant graph and get the information off that?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New type of solar concentrator desn't block the view
Researchers demonstrate ultra low-field nuclear magnetic resonance using Earth's magnetic field
Asian inventions dominate energy storage systems
tiny-tim
Mar25-11, 05:41 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 26,148
hi KatieKT! Welcome to PF!

(have a lambda: λ and a delta: ∆ )

We measure the wavelength at a fixed time
for fixed t, how much do we change x for y to be repeated?
(And we measure the speed at a fixed height
for fixed y, what is the ratio of x to t for y to stay constant?)
KatieKT
Mar27-11, 10:45 PM
Yeah so in y=a cos(bx + c) + d, a is amplitude and b would be the one that effects the period/wavelength. So is it 4.19m's long? Usually I thought that along the bottom of the graph it's like 45, 90, etc for thesse types of graphs but I don't think that's right.

ideasrule
Mar27-11, 11:02 PM
HW Helper
P: 2,322
Transverse Wave Calculations

Think about what the wavelength means. 4.19x-1260t is the angle being fed into the cosine function, so it should advance by 2pi (representing one cycle) every time x advances by lambda. If we hold t constant, what should lambda be so that this is true? You can use the same reasoning to find the period. Speed would then be wavelength/period.

Quote Quote by KatieKT View Post
Yeah so in y=a cos(bx + c) + d, a is amplitude and b would be the one that effects the period/wavelength. So is it 4.19m's long? Usually I thought that along the bottom of the graph it's like 45, 90, etc for thesse types of graphs but I don't think that's right.
It's like 45,90,etc. if you plot sine or cosine with the angle on the x axis. In this case, bc+x is the angle being fed into the cosine function. You can definitely plot y=acos(bx+c)+d as a function of this angle, although for this question, I don't see why you would.

PS. Anyways, try to use y=acos(wx-kt). It's much more common and intuitive than y=acos(bx+c)+d, since a, w, and k both have well-defined meanings.
KatieKT
Mar29-11, 05:50 AM
Ok so i've worked out λ to be 1.49m through 2∏/b. Then the frequency by 1/1.49 to get 0.23Hz. However to get the velocity I was told to use v= -Vmax sin(-1260t) and the formula for the maximum transverse velocity was Vmax= 2∏A/λ. Is 2∏A/λ the correct formula to use however? I know for maximum velocity it is, but is it also the formula for maximum transverse velocity?

Register to reply