Introductory Networks Book

by brushman
Tags: book, introductory, networks
brushman
May5-11, 12:44 PM
P: 117
As a summer project which I wanted to do last summer but failed, I want to learn some stuff about computer networks and as an end result be able to make a simple bot that can play some simple online game.

What got made me gave up last time was I was using a packet sniffer and I had no idea how to interpret the information.

So, any recommendations that would be particularly suited for my task? What about other books that I might end up needing?

Honestly I don't really know what I'm doing but I figure in the end if I end up learning anything at all it'll be worth it.

Thanks,
Ben
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA's space station Robonaut finally getting legs
Free the seed: OSSI nurtures growing plants without patent barriers
Going nuts? Turkey looks to pistachios to heat new eco-city
physiker_192
May5-11, 03:04 PM
P: 246
Perhaps:
http://www.amazon.com/Data-Communica...tt_at_ep_dpi_8

The author has a number of other books on networking too, not sure how similar they might be, but I would guess that TCP/IP should covered in all of them.
brushman
May5-11, 04:02 PM
Thanks physiker, that one looks pretty good.

Out of curiosity, what are typical "pre-reqs" for the linked book and those similar?

physiker_192
May5-11, 04:24 PM

Introductory Networks Book

Quote Quote by brushman View Post
Thanks physiker, that one looks pretty good.

Out of curiosity, what are typical "pre-reqs" for the linked book and those similar?

You're welcome.
The only pre-reqs you need is interest (as long as you are not planning on tackling any hardware design), more or less anyone who is keen on computers should be able to read it.

BTW, for the bot that you mentioned, you would need knowledge of network programming too, for which understanding of the network protocols is essential, the above book or any relevant material should be helpful beforehand.
brushman
May5-11, 04:40 PM
Sorry that I'm a little confused:

Do I need to learn network programming before or after the data communications stuff, or is it something I learn simultaneously?

Does the book you linked treat both subjects or would I need to look into other texts?

Also, does this book look good?
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Netwo...4630857&sr=1-1

The CD that comes with it seems really helpful.
Cod
May5-11, 08:24 PM
P: 305
My university uses the following book for a couple of networking courses:

http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Netwo...4645001&sr=8-1

I haven't heard anything bad about the text from any students which have taken the course in recent semesters.
physiker_192
May6-11, 02:16 AM
Quote Quote by brushman View Post
Sorry that I'm a little confused:

Do I need to learn network programming before or after the data communications stuff, or is it something I learn simultaneously?

Does the book you linked treat both subjects or would I need to look into other texts?

Also, does this book look good?
http://www.amazon.com/Computer-Netwo...4630857&sr=1-1

The CD that comes with it seems really helpful.

Learning network programming should come at a later stage once you get hold of the basic networking protocols. The book I mentioned tackles only the basic networking & protocols, as network programming is a more specialized topic.

As for the book you mentioned, I can't judge it since I haven't used it, but if you find yourself comfortable with it then just go ahead and use it.

Register to reply