Register to reply

Radiation Health Physics

by Obelisk017
Tags: health, physics, radiation
Share this thread:
Obelisk017
May24-11, 08:46 PM
P: 30
Last shot at the college dream. I am considering changing my major to Radiation Health Physics. I was wondering if anyone had any information on this major such as difficulty level (so I can gauge how much of a time commitment I will need to put in, yeah I know kind of novice, but irregardless I need this information) I need to know what some of the course work is/ looks like so I can get a head start, and know what to look at (I request the Radiation Health Physics courses I have the core science classes squared away) I need to know what jobs are available for a four year undergrad degree. Any other Information will be helpful.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
Choppy
May24-11, 09:26 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 2,678
You'll have to look at the program outline in your school's academic calendar to know what courses the program has. In some places it's an honours physics degree with an elective or two in radiation protection. In other places it can be watered down with elimination of some core physics requirements.

In general this kind of background at the undergraduate level can prepare you for a job as a radation safety officer (although you may need more than an undergrad degree for some of these positions).
Obelisk017
May24-11, 10:37 PM
P: 30
Fair Deuce. I understand. I was hoping to get the input of people who are in the field, or who know a great deal about it. A general knowledge is what I wanted.

daveb
May25-11, 07:37 AM
P: 926
Radiation Health Physics

Different programs have different difficulty levels - it all depends on the school's curriculum, as Choppy pointed out. However, it isn't necessary to get a health physics degree to work in health physics. My undergrad is in physics/math, and after I got the health physics position (right out of college) I got the master's in nuclear engineering (speciailization in radiation protection).

As for job prospoects, that depends on if you're willing to relocate, etc. It's really tough to get a job ith the NRC right out of school (possible - but tough). You best bet is tro try to get into the EHS department of a local university that has a large radiation safety program because of association with a hosptial - it gives you the greatest exposure to a wide field.

You can go the health physics website and becomea student member (last I checked dues were only $20) and they list many job positions, but not all companies advertise their positions there. Some use Nukeworker.com.

Register to reply