Finding Velocity of Rolling Ball

by GingerBread27
Tags: ball, rolling, velocity
GingerBread27
Nov7-04, 07:29 PM
P: 109
In Figure 11-36, a small, solid, uniform ball is to be shot from point P so that it rolls smoothly along a horizontal path, up along a ramp, and onto a plateau. Then it leaves the plateau horizontally to land on a game board, at a horizontal distance d from the right edge of the plateau. The vertical heights are h1 = 4.80 cm and h2 = 1.60 cm. With what speed must the ball be shot at point P for it to land at d = 5.80 cm?

Can someone give me a push in the right direction?
Attached Thumbnails
hrw7_11-36.gif  
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Better thermal-imaging lens from waste sulfur
Hackathon team's GoogolPlex gives Siri extra powers
Bright points in Sun's atmosphere mark patterns deep in its interior
Sirus
Nov7-04, 07:42 PM
P: 582
This is a kinematics problem. How much time would it take an object to fall from h2? Now you know d, so can you find the horizontal velocity of the ball on the plateau? Now consider the energy transfers (kinetic-potential and vice versa) that occur during the ball's travel up the slope, and you should be able to find initial velocity at P.
GingerBread27
Nov7-04, 08:42 PM
Don't get it....sigh

Phymath
Nov7-04, 08:48 PM
P: 189

Finding Velocity of Rolling Ball

use the projectile equations to figure out the velocity you would need when the ball leaves the edge so that you would get that range.

2nd consider the energy required to make it up the ramp and also have the velocity of part one

then ur done
GingerBread27
Nov7-04, 09:03 PM
I know it deals with energy conservation but I can't remember the equation to use for projectile motion.
greenman100
Nov7-04, 09:40 PM
P: 9
AIM me at greenman100

Register to reply