Register to reply

Transformation law for Christoffel symbol of first kind

Share this thread:
Will_C
Dec6-04, 04:15 AM
P: n/a
Hi,
I have met a problem, that is how to prove transformation law for Christoffel symbol of first kind. I have read books about that, but many of them just state: cyclic permutation of the 3 indices and substitution. When I tried to work out, I could not elimate some terms...
Can anyone show me how to prove it once.
Will.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Experts defend operational earthquake forecasting, counter critiques
EU urged to convert TV frequencies to mobile broadband
Sierra Nevada freshwater runoff could drop 26 percent by 2100
dextercioby
Dec6-04, 01:38 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,928
Quote Quote by Will_C
Hi,
I have met a problem, that is how to prove transformation law for Christoffel symbol of first kind. I have read books about that, but many of them just state: cyclic permutation of the 3 indices and substitution. When I tried to work out, I could not elimate some terms...
Can anyone show me how to prove it once.
Will.
By prove,u mean calculate it,right??I'll give u the results and the calculations for the second kind symbols and let u strive to find the first kind symbols.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Christoffel symbols of the second kind.doc (48.5 KB, 328 views)
Will_C
Dec7-04, 04:11 AM
P: n/a
Thx dextercioby,
I think ,what I have read, is a old style Tensor. So most books, I have read, derive the second kind transformation law from the first kind. Thank you very much for your help. It would be more happy to me if I can get some derives base on the style, what I am learning.

Will.

dextercioby
Dec7-04, 06:48 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 11,928
Transformation law for Christoffel symbol of first kind

Quote Quote by Will_C
Thx dextercioby,
I think ,what I have read, is a old style Tensor. So most books, I have read, derive the second kind transformation law from the first kind. Thank you very much for your help. It would be more happy to me if I can get some derives base on the style, what I am learning.

Will.
No,what u've read was a about 90% of a page from a pdf-format book on GR.That's why it used Greek suffixes.If it's old style,well,i doubt it,since he takes diff.geometry from zero,from the definiton of a topological space.
I beleive u can manipulate suffices,derivatives and other tensorial quantities so that u can get the first kind symbols' transformation law directly from the expression of a covariant derivative of a covector.

Daniel.
hyjta
May24-09, 03:54 AM
P: 1
thanks .

Register to reply