Linear Transformation: B-matrix [T]B

In summary, the problem asks us to find the B-matrix [T]B, where T is a transformation defined as differentiation on a space of polynomials with real coefficients of degree at most 2. The given basis for this space is B = {1+x, x+x2, x}. The B-matrix is found by expressing the transformation of each basis vector as a linear combination of the basis vectors, with the coefficients being the columns of the matrix.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Let V be polynomials, with real coefficients, of degree at most 2. Suppose that [itex]T:V→V[/itex] is differentiation. Find the [itex]B[/itex]-matrix [T]B if B is the basis of V
B = {1+x, x+x2, x}

Homework Equations

For [itex]T:V→V[/itex] the domain and range are the same

[T]B is the matrix whose i-th column is [itex][T(vi)]_B[/itex]

[itex][T(v)]_C = A[v]_B[/itex] where [itex]A=[T]_B[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

So because the degree can be at most 2, the polynomials will be of the form a+bx+cx2. This can be denoted using a(1+x)+c(x+x2)+(b-a-c)(x). It will turn into a+bx (because we take the derivative, we take powers to a max of 1) and we would say a(1+x)+0(x+x2+b(x). After this, I'm not sure how to find the B-matrix, as I'm a bit confused as to what it is exactly.

Physics news on Phys.org
PirateFan308 said:
Find the [itex]B[/itex]-matrix [T]B if B is the basis of V
B = {1+x, x+x2, x}

[T]B is the matrix whose i-th column is [itex][T(vi)]_B[/itex]

Well, you wrote down the formula. Here [itex] v_i [/itex] is a basis vector. So take T of each of your basis vectors, and then express [itex] T(v_i) [/itex] as a linear combination of the basis vectors.

What is T(1+ x)? What is T(x+ x^2)? What is T(x)?
Write each of those as a linear combination of 1+ x, x+ x^2, and x and the coefficients are the columns of your matrix.

1. What is a linear transformation?

A linear transformation is a mathematical function that maps one vector space to another in a way that preserves the basic algebraic structure of the original space. In simpler terms, it is a transformation that preserves lines and the origin.

2. What is the B-matrix in linear transformation?

The B-matrix, also known as the basis matrix, is a square matrix that represents a linear transformation with respect to a particular basis. It is used to transform vectors from one basis to another.

3. What does [T]B mean in linear transformation?

[T]B represents the linear transformation T with respect to the basis B. It is used to indicate that the transformation is being performed in a specific basis, as opposed to a standard basis.

4. How is the B-matrix calculated?

The B-matrix is calculated by first determining the basis vectors of the original and transformed spaces. Then, the transformation is applied to each basis vector and the resulting vectors are used to construct the columns of the B-matrix.

5. What is the significance of the B-matrix in linear transformation?

The B-matrix is significant because it allows for the representation of a linear transformation in different bases. This is useful in applications such as computer graphics and engineering, where it is necessary to transform vectors from one coordinate system to another.