Positive integers( A short question )

In summary: That is, it's the number of divisors, not proper divisors.In summary, the conversation involves determining the number of positive integers less than 500 that have exactly 15 positive integer factors. The solution involves finding numbers in the form of p^2q^4 or pq^14, where p and q are prime numbers. The possible numbers that meet this criteria are 400, 144, and 162. However, it is important to clarify if 1 and the number itself should be included in the count of positive integer factors.
primarygun
How many positive integers less than 500 have exactly 15 positive integer factors?
I know the answer, but not sure it. Can you give me the answer ?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
HINT: [itex]2^{15} = 32768[/itex]

I'm not sure I get the hint. 2.3.5.7 has 15 positive integer factors (excluding itself).

matt grime said:
I'm not sure I get the hint. 2.3.5.7 has 15 positive integer factors (excluding itself).

Oh, I took "has 15 postive factors" as referring to prime factorization. (2x3x5x7 has 4 prime factors!)

Apparently that's not what primarygun was looking for.

I'm not sure if we're supposed to include 1 and itself to be honest. If we are then the only numbers are those... actually, I'm sorry, I always get suspicious when people say "i've got the answer" but don't say what it is. Could you explain how you got your answer, Primarygun, as i don't want to give it away too easily?

It's more natural to include the number itself and 1 when counting its number of positive divisors (it makes for a multiplicative function that way), and this is how I would interpret the question. Clarification wouldn't hurt of course.

Some simple hints in any case. If a number has 15 divisors, what does this say about it's prime factorization? Specifically, can you say how many distinct prime factors it has? What can you say about the exponents appearing in the prime factorization?

Doesn't
[tex]
2 * 3 * 5 * 7
[/tex]
have
[tex]
\tau (2 * 3 * 5 * 7) = \tau (2) * \tau (3) * \tau (5) * \tau (7) = 2 * 2 * 2 * 2 = 16
[/tex]
positive factors?

I think what you need to look at is the factors of 15: 1, 3, 5, and 15
[tex]
15 = 1 * 15
[/tex]
[tex]
15 = 3 * 5
[/tex]
The first case gives
[tex]
\tau (p^{1-1} * q^{15-1}) = \tau (q^{14})
[/tex]
Because
[tex]
2^{14} > 500
[/tex]
Move on to the second case
[tex]
\tau (p^{3-1} * q^{5-1}) = \tau (q^4 * p^2) = 15
[/tex]
Move through the primes until you surpass 500:
[tex]
2^4 * 3^2 = 144 < 500
[/tex]
[tex]
\tau (144) = 15
[/tex]

Last edited:
CTS said:
So it looks like 144 is the only number less than 500 with 15 positive factors, correct?

No, it's not the only one. Try other values of p, q. Let's not give too much away though?

ps.when Matt said 2.3.5.7 had 15 positive divisors, note he also said "excluding iself".

Sorry, haven't been online so long.
I guess it should be 3.
As you see, 15 only can be expressed as 1x15 or 3x5 for positive interger factor.
Let the number have 15 factors be n=pq (p and q : positive integers)
For 15 factor, p=1, q^14=n (q : prime number) or p^2q^4=n (p , q : prime number)
But 2^14> 500, so the first expression is rejected.
p^2 q^4 = n
Find the limit for both first, start to do it with q.
So q=2, q^4=16 n=500
So the possible largest integer is 5.
Select q from 2,3 Select p from 2,3,5.
So answer: 400, 144, and 162

primarygun said:
So answer: 400, 144, and 162

Method looks good, but check how you ended up with 162.

shmoe said:
Method looks good, but check how you ended up with 162.

324 has 17 positive divisors.Excluding 1 and 324,it's left with 15.

Daniel.

dextercioby said:
324 has 17 positive divisors.Excluding 1 and 324,it's left with 15.

Daniel.

Nope. The formula for the number of divisors that's been kicking around the last few posts for a product of two primes, [tex]\tau(p^n q^m)=(n+1)(m+1)[/tex] includes 1 and itself in the count.

1. What are positive integers?

Positive integers are whole numbers that are greater than zero. They are denoted by the symbol "n" and can be expressed as 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.

2. How are positive integers different from negative integers?

Positive integers are numbers that are greater than zero, while negative integers are numbers that are less than zero. Positive integers are used to count or represent quantities, while negative integers are used to represent debts or losses.

3. What are some examples of positive integers?

Some examples of positive integers include 5, 10, 100, 1000, and 5000. These numbers are all greater than zero and can be represented on a number line to the right of zero.

4. Are all whole numbers considered positive integers?

No, not all whole numbers are considered positive integers. Whole numbers include both positive and negative integers, while positive integers are only numbers that are greater than zero.

5. How are positive integers used in real life?

Positive integers are used in many real-life situations, such as counting people, money, or objects. They are also used in mathematical operations, such as addition, multiplication, and division.