How to Plot Large Data Sets in Mathematica?

In summary, the individual is seeking assistance with plotting points from a txt file generated by a C++ program in Mathematica. They have tried using ListPlot but it did not work and are looking for advice on how to proceed. They have been asked to provide the data.txt file and a Mathematica notebook for further assistance. They also asked how to add a new topic.
yashar
hi
i compile a c++ program and after compiling it gives me a txt file which contains about 50000 points.
how i can plot these points in mathematica?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Several ways.

1: IF your c++ program can be slightly modified to give you a file exactly like
{
}
and you can drop that file into your Mathematica folder and call it xox.txt then

ListPlot[<<"xox.txt"]

is all you need.

If you can't include the surrounding { and } and end each line except the next to last ending with a comma then your file won't contain a single complete Mathematica expression and you can start learning about how Mathematica does low level file reads and how to store individual lines into a list and then ListPlot the resulting list.

If you can't drop the file into your Mathematica folder then you can start learning about the nonstandard method that Mathematica uses to give a path to your file and use that.

hi
i upload the data.txt file .
how to plot it?
i tried ListPlot but it did not work
thanks

Last edited:
Attach your data.txt file and a very tiny Mathematica notebook that you are using to try to read and plot that *without any changes* to your next post here. I will look at those and try to see if there is a problem with them or whether the problem is somewhere else.

And temporarily modify your C++ program so you don't send me 50000 points, create 50 points, verify that still doesn't work and then post the 50 point file and notebook.

And if "but it did not work" meant you got a warning message displayed when you tried to plot then include the exact message it displayed in your post.

Last edited:
Could everybody tells me how can i add a new topic ?
Thanks a lot

What is the process for plotting data in Mathematica?

The process for plotting data in Mathematica involves first importing the data into a Mathematica notebook, then using the built-in ListPlot or Plot function to create a visual representation of the data. Other options for customizing the plot, such as adding labels and changing the appearance, can also be done using built-in functions.

Can I plot multiple sets of data on the same graph in Mathematica?

Yes, you can plot multiple sets of data on the same graph in Mathematica using the Show function. This function allows you to combine multiple plots into one, making it easy to compare data sets.

How do I export a plot from Mathematica?

To export a plot from Mathematica, you can use the Export function. This function allows you to save the plot as an image file, such as a PNG or JPEG, or as a vector file, such as PDF or SVG, for use in other programs or documents.

Can I customize the appearance of my plot in Mathematica?

Yes, there are several ways to customize the appearance of a plot in Mathematica. You can change the colors, styles, and sizes of the plotted data points and lines using built-in functions, and you can also add labels, legends, and other annotations to make your plot more informative and visually appealing.

Is there a way to automate the process of plotting data in Mathematica?

Yes, you can use Mathematica's programming capabilities to automate the process of plotting data. This can be particularly useful when working with large data sets or when you need to create multiple plots with similar formatting. You can use functions such as Map and Table to apply plotting functions to different sets of data, and you can also create custom functions to automate specific plotting tasks.