How Does Adding Flour Affect the Stretchiness of Slime?

• Thread starter improsnipers
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lab
In summary, the control group had slime that was not stretched as long as the experimental group which had slime that was stretched longer with flour. This is due to the borate anion in the flour which creates a much larger polymer of shorter chain polyvinyl alcohol molecules and borate ions. Proteins are also made of polymers, but of amino acids. When starch is mixed with slime, the repeating units containing OH groups in the slime cause a reaction that creates a box-like structure for starch.
improsnipers
So we did a lab in school on what is the effect of flour on slime which is mixed with borax and glue on the length it can be stretched. I have completed the experiment and found out it stretched much longer than the control variable with is normal slime without flour. I finish writing my conclusion and are now on the 4 question. I read through the question and managed to only understand 1 of those. Others I do not understand.

1. Using blocks as monomers, create diagram of what you think is happening in your control group and experimental group?

I didn't quite understand it but I thought is to create a picture of the slime with and without the flour and compare the difference? So i drew 2 polymers. Control one was much shorter because it didn't stretch as long and the experimental one is longer with more blocks. Is that what I'm suppose to do?

2.Starching is a polymer made of sugar. Using blocks as monomers, draw a diagram and label it with the term starch, sugar. monomer, and polymer.

I couldn't even guess on this one.

3.Proteins are polymers of amino acids. Using blocks as monomers, draw a diagram of a protein molecule.

Again, I could guess on this one.

Any ideas? Thank you for your time.

Physics news on Phys.org
Slime is a polymeric ionomer of polyvinyl alcohol and sodium borate. The borate anion hydrogen bonds with the OH groups lying along the backbone of one polyvinyl alcohol molecule and adjacent one. It creates a much larger polymer of shorter chain polyvinyl alcohol molecules and borate ions. The result is slimy. Starch is a polymer of sugar. The repeating units are sugars that have OH groups as well.

Can you guess what might happen when you mix that into another system that has repeating units containing OH groups like slime has? Can you draw those box structures for starch showing the repeating units? How about proteins?

What is the purpose of the lab?

The purpose of the lab is to test a specific hypothesis or research question, gather data, and analyze the results to draw conclusions.

What materials are needed for the lab?

The materials needed for a lab will vary depending on the experiment, but typically include lab equipment, chemicals, and any other necessary supplies.

How do I interpret the data collected in the lab?

The interpretation of data collected in a lab depends on the specific experiment, but generally involves analyzing patterns and trends, comparing results to expected outcomes, and drawing conclusions based on the data.

What safety precautions should be taken during the lab?

Safety is always a top priority in the lab. It is important to follow all safety protocols and wear appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE) when handling hazardous materials or using equipment that could cause injury.

What do I do if I encounter unexpected results in the lab?

Unexpected results are a common occurrence in the lab and can be caused by a variety of factors. If you encounter unexpected results, it is important to carefully review your methods and data to determine any possible sources of error. It may also be helpful to consult with a lab instructor or colleagues for their input.