Register to reply

Volume 2 of Burckel's Book on Complex Analysis

by Petek
Tags: analysis, book, burckel, complex, volume
Share this thread:
Petek
Mar1-12, 07:33 AM
P: 361
I have a copy of Robert Burckel's An Introduction to Classical Complex Analysis, Volume 1. What happened to volume 2? The introduction to volume 1 contains a description of the contents of volume 2. It also contains the table of contents of volume 2. The beginning of volume 1 lists some of the other math books available from the same publisher (Academic Press) and volume 2 is on that list. However, as far as I can tell, volume 2 doesn't exist. It isn't available from any major online used book service. It isn't listed in the Library of Congress (although volume 1 is present). Does anyone know the story behind volume 2?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
New model helps explain how provisions promote or reduce wildlife disease
Stress can make hard-working mongooses less likely to help in the future
Grammatical habits in written English reveal linguistic features of non-native speakers' languages
jcw99
Mar1-12, 09:23 AM
PF Gold
P: 15
He's still on the faculty at Kansas State U., according to the website, if that helps.
Petek
Mar1-12, 02:15 PM
P: 361
Quote Quote by jcw99 View Post
He's still on the faculty at Kansas State U., according to the website, if that helps.
Thanks for your reply. I found prof. Burckel's email address, but decided to post the question here rather than ask him directly. I don't know him and don't know how he would react to being contacted by some random person on the internet.

Sankaku
Mar2-12, 12:19 AM
P: 714
Volume 2 of Burckel's Book on Complex Analysis

I have generally found that professors who have authored books will be happy to respond to an email that starts something like:

"Dear Prof. ______,

I greatly enjoyed your textbook ______ Volume 1; however, I have been unable to find any copies of Volume 2. If you have time, could you tell me if it has been published and, if so, where I might purchase a copy?"

Throw in some book-specific compliments if they make sense to you.

Charm is the most important tool of any career. Learn to use it!

Register to reply