Register to reply

Quick conceptual question about disconnecting battery!

by xchococatx
Tags: battery, conceptual, disconnecting
Share this thread:
xchococatx
Mar14-12, 09:06 PM
P: 7
If there is a parallel plate capacitor, connected to a battery, which is then disconnected, there is NO voltage now, but "Q" (charge) on the capacitor remains the same. YES OR NO? I think yes.
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
gneill
Mar14-12, 09:37 PM
Mentor
P: 11,614
Quote Quote by xchococatx View Post
If there is a parallel plate capacitor, connected to a battery, which is then disconnected, there is NO voltage now, but "Q" (charge) on the capacitor remains the same. YES OR NO? I think yes.
What is your reasoning?
xchococatx
Mar14-12, 09:58 PM
P: 7
Well basically I'm thinking that a capacitor stores charges (or energy) so, onces its all charged up by a battery, I don't see how it could lose those charges...even when the battery is disconnected. (immediately anyways, it wouldn't be all gone I don't think) Why I was thinking about this was because if the battery is now disconnected, and you wanted to calculate the work needed to insert a dielectric, fitting perfectly between the 2 plates, since there is no voltage, I don't see how you could calculate the work unless you used the original charge of the capacitor (without dielectric). (By means of E=Q^2/2C) So in order to use the original charge of the capacitor, I figured charge has to stay in the capacitor even if the battery is disconnected.

gneill
Mar14-12, 10:17 PM
Mentor
P: 11,614
Quick conceptual question about disconnecting battery!

Quote Quote by xchococatx View Post
Well basically I'm thinking that a capacitor stores charges (or energy) so, onces its all charged up by a battery, I don't see how it could lose those charges...even when the battery is disconnected. (immediately anyways, it wouldn't be all gone I don't think) Why I was thinking about this was because if the battery is now disconnected, and you wanted to calculate the work needed to insert a dielectric, fitting perfectly between the 2 plates, since there is no voltage, I don't see how you could calculate the work unless you used the original charge of the capacitor (without dielectric). (By means of E=Q^2/2C) So in order to use the original charge of the capacitor, I figured charge has to stay in the capacitor even if the battery is disconnected.
Okay, your reasoning is pretty good. Note that the charged capacitor will maintain a voltage (potential difference) according to Q = C*V, even without an external voltage source applied. Of course, if the capacitance changes (due, say, to the insertion of a dielectric) the voltage will change accordingly if the charges have nowhere to go.

Register to reply