Register to reply

How to get fourier transform from fourier series

by Ahmed Abdullah
Tags: fourier, series, transform
Share this thread:
Ahmed Abdullah
Mar31-12, 06:59 AM
P: 183
How you get Fourier transform from Fourier series? Do Fourier series becomes Fourier transform as L --> infinity?

http://mathworld.wolfram.com/FourierTransform.html

I don't understand where discrete A sub n becomes continuous F(k)dk ( where F(k) is exactly like A sub n in fourier series)?
I also have a general question which is;
How to transform a discrete variable to a continuous variable in order to convert a summation to integral?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Hoverbike drone project for air transport takes off
Earlier Stone Age artifacts found in Northern Cape of South Africa
Study reveals new characteristics of complex oxide surfaces
Ahmed Abdullah
Apr4-12, 10:52 AM
P: 183
I think I know the answer now.

" For a function periodic in [-L/2,L/2], Fourier series is
[tex] f(x) = \sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty }A_{n}e^{i(2\pi nx{/}L)}

\\A_{n} = 1{/}L \int_{-L{/}2}^{L{/}2}f(x)e^{-i(2\pi nx{/}L)}dx. [/tex]"

The part that was bothering me was " The Fourier transform is a generalization of the complex Fourier series in the limit as L->infty. Replace the discrete [tex]A_{n} [/tex] with the continuous F(k)dk while letting n/L->k. Then change the sum to an integral, and the equations become
[tex] f(x) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} F(k)e^{2\pi ikx}dk

\\ F(k) = \int_{-\infty}^{\infty} f(x) e^{-2\pi ikx}dx [/tex] "
My question was how [tex]A_{n}[/tex] becomes [tex]F(k) d(k) [/tex]. Especially where the dk comes from?
[tex] k=n{/}L [/tex]; then [tex]\Delta k = (n+1){/}L -n{/}L =1{/}L [/tex] , when [tex]L [/tex] goes to infinity [tex]\Delta k [/tex]becomes dk.
So when [tex] L \rightarrow \infty; A_{n} =F(k)dk [/tex]. Indeed! I am a happy man now :).

Register to reply