Understanding Monotonic Sequences: Simplification and Frustration

• Thread starter rohan03
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequences
In summary, the conversation is about the simplification of a sequence, an= {5n/n!}. The book indicates that an+1 and dividing an+1/an results in 5/n+1. The person is confused about how this simplification works and asks for an explanation. Another person explains that (n+1)! can be written as (n+1)n!, and the definition of n! is clarified. This leads to a better understanding of the simplification for the first person.
rohan03
Now I know how this works- but I came across this example and even though I know the answer- the simplification given in the explanation doesn't make sense to me.

the squence is an= {5n/n!}
now applying an+1 and dividing an+1/an
the book indicates = 5/n+1

this is what I don't get how
(5n+1 /(n+1)!)/(5 n/n!) can simplify to that ?

can someone explain please- what am I missing here.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
We have...
[tex]\frac{5^{n+1}}{(n+1)!}\frac{n!}{5^n} = \frac{5\cdot5^{n}}{(n+1)n!}\frac{n!}{5^n}[/tex]
...which very easily simplifies to the expression you provided by cancelling out like terms.

right - this is what is not clear to me- I am very new to pure maths
how (n+1)! can be written as - (n+1)n!- may be I am having a dumb moment

Last edited:
What is the definition of n! for you?

well n! means = any number say 5 then multiplied by 5x4x3x2x1 ( natural numbers in hughest to lowest order)

so basically product of positive integres less than or equal to n

So, you have

[tex](n+1)!=(n+1)*n*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*3*2*1[/tex]

Right?

But then we have

[tex](n+1)!=(n+1)*[n*(n-1)*(n-2)*...*3*2*1][/tex]

And the thing in brackets look familiar, no?? Indeed, the bracketed thing is n!
So

[tex](n+1)!=(n+1)*n![/tex]

thank you this makes sense- sometimes I just get frustrated with not enough explanation at beiggners level

1. What is a monotonic sequence?

A monotonic sequence is a sequence of numbers that either strictly increases or strictly decreases. This means that each term in the sequence is either larger or smaller than the previous term, with no repetition.

2. How can I determine if a sequence is monotonic?

To determine if a sequence is monotonic, you can graph the sequence on a number line or plot the terms on a graph. If the graph shows a straight line either increasing or decreasing, then the sequence is monotonic. You can also calculate the difference between each term in the sequence. If the difference is always positive or always negative, then the sequence is monotonic.

3. Are all sequences either monotonic or not?

No, there are some sequences that exhibit both monotonic and non-monotonic behavior. These are called oscillating sequences, where the terms alternate between increasing and decreasing.

4. Can a sequence be both increasing and decreasing?

No, a sequence cannot be both increasing and decreasing at the same time. This would violate the definition of a monotonic sequence, which requires that the terms either strictly increase or strictly decrease.

5. What is the significance of monotonic sequences in mathematics?

Monotonic sequences are important in mathematics because they have predictable behavior and can be used to make calculations and predictions. They also have many applications in other fields, such as finance, physics, and computer science.