Electric Field Strength Inside Concentric Uniformly Charged Spheres

by forestmine
Tags: charged, concentric, electric, field, inside, spheres, strength, uniformly
forestmine
May10-12, 03:19 PM
P: 182
1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

The graph in the figure shows the electric field strength (not the field lines) as a function of distance from the center for a pair of concentric uniformly charged spheres. Which of the following situations could the graph plausibly represent? (There may be more than one correct choice.)

A positively charged nonconducting thin-walled spherical shell inside of a positively charged conducting sphere.
A positively charged conducting sphere within another positively charged conducting sphere.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Alright, so I know that the above two are the only plausible situations, but I'm just trying to understand exactly why.

For the second one, I think I understand. The electric field inside a conductor is 0, and outside, it falls off as 1/r^2. The start of the curve along 0 depicts the inside of the conductor, where the negative slope is depicting the space outside of the sphere before it reaches the walls of the sphere containing it? I'm a little confused there...(I hope I'm making some sense at least!)

For the first instance, I'm really confused. I honestly don't know how to conceptualize that one at all.

Any help would be great! Thanks!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Simplicity is key to co-operative robots
Chemical vapor deposition used to grow atomic layer materials on top of each other
Earliest ancestor of land herbivores discovered

Register to reply