How to write Math notes?

by MotoPayton
Tags: math, notes, write
MotoPayton
May15-12, 08:41 PM
P: 96
I want to make my own math notes in the same style as this. Anyone know the program that is used?

It is the easiest to read font I have ever read in my life!

http://www.math.cornell.edu/~bterrell/dn.pdf
Phys.Org News Partner Mathematics news on Phys.org
Researchers help Boston Marathon organizers plan for 2014 race
'Math detective' analyzes odds for suspicious lottery wins
Pseudo-mathematics and financial charlatanism
Vorde
May15-12, 09:01 PM
P: 784
There is a program in Windows 7 called Math Input Panel that allows you to draw mathematical notation on a panel and it translates it into math characters, this seems to be, or else has an identical end result, as in your link.

In my experience it is somewhat cumbersome with a mouse/touchpad, but if you have a drawing tablet it would mostly likely be extremely helpful.
micromass
May15-12, 09:15 PM
Mentor
P: 16,565
It seems to be standard LaTeX. Are you familiar with LaTeX??

MotoPayton
May15-12, 09:17 PM
P: 96

How to write Math notes?

No I have never heard of Latex.. I'll check it out though! Any chance anyone knows what font this guy is using?
camillio
May16-12, 02:10 AM
P: 74
This is standard latex, default Computer Modern font. MotoPayton, I suggest learning latex, it's pretty easy and it's mathematician's must-have knowledge.
Stephen Tashi
May16-12, 02:38 PM
Sci Advisor
P: 3,173
Quote Quote by MotoPayton View Post
No I have never heard of Latex.. I'll check it out though!
You can practice it on the forum. See: http://physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=546968

Any chance anyone knows what font this guy is using?
If you search for "How can I find out the fonts in a PDF document", you can find various simple ways of doing this. How to do it depends on what operating system you use.
sebasbri
May24-12, 03:13 PM
P: 5
Quote Quote by camillio View Post
This is standard latex, default Computer Modern font. MotoPayton, I suggest learning latex, it's pretty easy and it's mathematician's must-have knowledge.
I second that. Latex is super powerful. Not only for equations but for general text formatting as well. I learned it recently. It took me about a week to be somewhat efficient at it, but it is totally worth it!
genericusrnme
May24-12, 04:42 PM
P: 615
Quote Quote by Vorde View Post
There is a program in Windows 7 called Math Input Panel that allows you to draw mathematical notation on a panel and it translates it into math characters, this seems to be, or else has an identical end result, as in your link.

In my experience it is somewhat cumbersome with a mouse/touchpad, but if you have a drawing tablet it would mostly likely be extremely helpful.
the math input panel would be nice, if it worked.. (see attachment)

Mathematica is quite nice for making pretty looking notes, most 'hard to keyboard' characters can be done by pressing :esc: stuff :esc:, a definite integral is done by :esc:dintt:esc:, once you get used to it you can write stuff up pretty quickly

I usually just use a graphics tablet alongside smoothdraw, khanacademy style!
Attached Thumbnails
Untitled.jpg  
Jamma
May24-12, 06:03 PM
P: 429
Practically 100% of people who write mathematics papers use Latex. It takes a little while to get used to, but when you've got it, it's fantastic.

If you are planning on writing quite a bit of maths, it's well worth the effort of learning how to use it.
theorem4.5.9
May24-12, 06:28 PM
P: 101
Quote Quote by genericusrnme View Post
the math input panel would be nice, if it worked.. (see attachment)

Mathematica is quite nice for making pretty looking notes, most 'hard to keyboard' characters can be done by pressing :esc: stuff :esc:, a definite integral is done by :esc:dintt:esc:, once you get used to it you can write stuff up pretty quickly

I usually just use a graphics tablet alongside smoothdraw, khanacademy style!
Yikes, I suggest a much better route, use this link!
http://detexify.kirelabs.org/classify.html

You write the symbol, and out pops the latex code. I refer to it all the time :) Oh, from what I recall, it doesn't work in internet explorer as your drawing doesn't appear.

If you really want to cheat, you can also use microsoft word 2007 or later. The equation editor can be toggled by "alt (and) =" and most latex commands work for shortcuts. What's nice about word is that it's a wysiwyg, though the typeset isn't quite as nice at latex.
genericusrnme
May24-12, 08:50 PM
P: 615
Quote Quote by theorem4.5.9 View Post

You write the symbol, and out pops the latex code. I refer to it all the time :) Oh, from what I recall, it doesn't work in internet explorer as your drawing doesn't appear.

If you really want to cheat, you can also use microsoft word 2007 or later. The equation editor can be toggled by "alt (and) =" and most latex commands work for shortcuts. What's nice about word is that it's a wysiwyg, though the typeset isn't quite as nice at latex.
Oh wow, I was looking for that site a few days ago!

ty buddy

Also Mathematica let's you copy your nicely written text as latex, it's pretty handy too.
Jamma
May25-12, 04:20 AM
P: 429
Quote Quote by theorem4.5.9 View Post

Obviously I still suggest properly learning how to use latex, but that's a really cool site - would be useful as a reference when you can't remember the code for some symbol and want a quick answer instead of trawling through a huge list.

In general, you can guess the latex code for most symbols though - most of it is quite intuitive. And, of course, the above doesn't help you in how to format your latex correctly - I'd suggest some of the online tutorials and a look at some of the common latex tips to get going.

One other point is that you can create new commands for symbols, I think, if you don't like the original code.

Register to reply