LaTeX Display in Safari Browser

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Markus Hanke
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, the user has been experiencing issues with displaying LaTeX on the forum for the past few weeks. The problem only occurs on Safari 9.0.3 on OSX El Capitan and has not been encountered on other browsers or sites. The user has tried enabling JavaScript and adjusting privacy and security settings, but the issue persists. They are wondering if anyone else has encountered this problem and if there is a simple solution. After some troubleshooting, the user found that changing their User Agent to Google Chrome allowed the LaTeX to display correctly. They suspect that there may have been a corruption in their local settings causing the issue.
Markus Hanke
For the past few weeks, I have had an issue displaying LaTeX on this forum. When I open up a thread that contains maths, I first see [math processing error] instead of the equations, and then, a few seconds later, just blank spaces. I am using Safari 9.0.3 on OSX El Capitan ( 10.11.3 ). This has only started perhaps 3-4 weeks ago, never had an issue prior to that. Also, LaTeX on PhysicsForums works fine when I use other browsers on the same Mac, such as Google Chrome, and it also works fine in Safari on other sites. The issue thus seems to be with my browser settings; I have JavaScript enabled, and playing around with various privacy and security settings does not seem to be making any difference - the problem persists.

Is anyone here aware of this Safari browser issue ? Is there a simple tweak ? I greatly enjoy reading on this forum, but the absence of maths obviously kills it for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Test objects:
Inline ##a^2+b^2##
$$\iint a dx dy$$

Both work with Safari 9.1 on OS 10.11.4

I found the solution, pretty much by accident. Clearing the cache, turning JavaScript on/off, and messing with the security settings didn't help; however, I then turned on the "Developer" menu in preferences, changed User Agent > Google Chrome (Mac), and lo and behold there was my LaTeX displaying correctly. Changed it back to User Agent > Default then, and everything still works fine.

I guess something must have become corrupted in my local settings.

Thanks anyway, everyone.

Likes Greg Bernhardt

1. What is LaTeX display in Safari Browser?

LaTeX display in Safari Browser is a feature that allows users to view mathematical equations and symbols written in LaTeX format directly in their Safari web browser without the need for any additional software or plugins.

2. How do I enable LaTeX display in Safari Browser?

To enable LaTeX display in Safari Browser, you can install the KaTeX Safari Extension from the Safari Extensions Gallery. Once installed, you can view mathematical equations and symbols in their proper format on websites that use LaTeX.

3. Can I use LaTeX display in Safari Browser on any website?

No, not all websites are compatible with the KaTeX Safari Extension. The website must have the necessary code and configurations in place to support LaTeX display in Safari Browser.

4. What are the benefits of using LaTeX display in Safari Browser?

Using LaTeX display in Safari Browser allows for a more seamless and visually appealing experience when viewing mathematical equations and symbols on websites. It also eliminates the need to manually install and use LaTeX plugins or software.

5. Is LaTeX display in Safari Browser available on all devices?

No, LaTeX display in Safari Browser is only available on devices that have the Safari web browser and can install the KaTeX Safari Extension. This includes Mac computers and iOS devices.