Writing Notes LaTeX: Benefits vs Handwritten Notes

In summary, it may not be the best idea to write notes in LaTeX as it is time consuming, complicated for side notes and drawings, and better suited for reports and articles. Many people still prefer handwriting notes for efficiency. While formatting assignments in TeX can be time consuming at first, it becomes easier with practice and for lecture notes, it may be redundant to format in TeX as it is sufficient to revise the material by handwritten notes.
I_laff
I enjoy writing in LaTeX and was wondering if it would be a bad idea if I wrote my notes up in LaTeX. Would I be better off just making handwritten notes for revision? Has anyone tried to revise by writing up concepts/equations in LaTeX and was it more useful than handwriting notes?

Physics news on Phys.org
Writing a lot of equations in LaTeX can be quite time consuming. Also, making side notes and little drawings can be quite complicated. LaTeX is better suited for writing reports, articles, or books.

I always write lecture notes (when I am lecturing) using pencil and paper. I find it more efficient.

Likes I_laff, symbolipoint and fresh_42
I format various assignments in TeX. It can be time consuming at first, but after a while, the syntax is like second nature so you're not held up by technical issues. For lecture notes, I keep my written notes. It's sufficient to revise the material, work through some proofs or solve example problems, formatting it in TeX is redundant I think.

Likes I_laff and symbolipoint

What is LaTeX and why is it used for writing notes?

LaTeX is a document preparation system that is commonly used for creating technical and scientific documents. It uses a markup language to format text and allows for precise control over the layout and structure of a document. It is particularly useful for writing notes because it can handle complex equations, tables, and diagrams with ease.

What are the main benefits of using LaTeX for writing notes?

Some of the main benefits of using LaTeX for writing notes include its ability to produce professional-looking documents, its compatibility with different operating systems and devices, its efficient handling of large documents, and its automatic numbering and cross-referencing features.

Are there any downsides to using LaTeX for writing notes?

One potential downside of using LaTeX for writing notes is that it has a steeper learning curve compared to other word processing software. It also requires some knowledge of coding and may not be suitable for those who prefer a more visual approach to document creation.

Why do some people still prefer handwritten notes over LaTeX?

Some people may prefer handwritten notes because it allows for more flexibility and creativity in terms of formatting and layout. It also doesn't require any special software or skills. Additionally, some individuals may find that they retain information better when writing by hand.

Can LaTeX and handwritten notes be used together?

Yes, it is possible to combine LaTeX and handwritten notes by printing out LaTeX documents and adding handwritten notes or annotations, or by using a tablet or stylus to write directly on the LaTeX document. This allows for the benefits of both methods to be utilized.