Notes taking and bad handwriting. Possible to use LaTeX ?

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter andreyw
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Notes
In summary, the student is concerned about how to make clean summary/notes of what they will learn in school. They plan to focus on writing properly and using LaTeX for notes only, with minimal explanations. They think it would be impractical to try to do exercises in LaTeX during their studies.
andreyw
Good morning,

I am going back to school to get a degree in Physics in September. I am concerned about how to make clean summary/notes of what I'll learn.

For information, I have a really really really bad handwriting and it is just painful to read what I write. That's why I thought about creating nice and clean summary in LaTeX but it is really time consuming and I don't know if it will be a possible solution or not when I will have to do a lot of exercises.

For the moment, I learned Algebra/Trig/Calculus 1, 2 and I am currently learning Linear Algebra (DiffEq after that).

I tried to create a mix of cheatsheet and notes (basically a cheatsheet with some explanations about different concepts) in LaTeX but it takes me a lot of time to get a document with all the relevant informations I need to know.

I don't plan to wait until two weeks before exams to create that kind of document, I plan to create them every day/weekend for example. Would that be feasible in your opinion ? Does anybody do that ?

I probably won't waste time with nice graphics, I'll probably just leave a blank space and draw figures/graph by hand until I have some free time to learn Tikz or any other tool to draw nice graphics.

I think it will be okay with "pure" mathematics class like I mentionned above, probably not so much with "pure" physics (I don't really know what to expect with notes taking in physics).

I guess what I am asking is some advices about how to deal with bad handwriting like mine. :)

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Working on your handwriting itself seems a lot easier and efficient in the long term.
Consider buying a fountain pen (fine or extra fine nib) or at least use gel pens and write your notes focusing on your handwriting. Take as much time as you need, it will still take less time than you need to LaTeX them.
You can use LaTeX for cheatsheets and such, but it is at the end of the day a publishing tool and not a problem solving one. Doing exercises in LaTeX is impractical even if you use a WYSIWYG editor.

You are correct that I should learn to write properly.

For example, I created something like that :

https://github.com/gillouche/Notes/blob/master/maths/integrals/notes.pdf
https://github.com/gillouche/Notes/blob/master/maths/algebra/notes.pdf

(I changed the format from notes to cheatsheet style for algebra so it is still a work in progress)

I'll probably focus on only using LaTeX for the cheatsheet with formulas and keep the explanations at a minimum like you suggested. I assume it wouldn't be possible to create that kind of notes during my studies, I often read that understanding and exercises take so much time for physics/engineering studies.

I didn't plan to do exercises in LaTeX, juste a few examples with the theory like I did for the integrals notes.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. Can I use LaTeX for note taking even if I have bad handwriting?

Yes, LaTeX is a typesetting system that allows you to create digital documents with precise formatting. This means you can still create organized and legible notes even if your handwriting is not the best.

2. What are the advantages of using LaTeX for note taking?

LaTeX allows for easy organization and customization of notes, including the ability to add equations, diagrams, and other mathematical or scientific symbols. It also produces professional-looking documents that are easy to share and edit.

3. Is LaTeX difficult to learn for note taking?

While there is a learning curve to master the basics of LaTeX, once you become familiar with the syntax, it is a straightforward and efficient way to take notes. There are also many online resources and templates available to help you get started.

4. Can I use LaTeX for note taking on any device?

Yes, there are several LaTeX editors and programs that are compatible with different devices, including desktops, laptops, and tablets. Some popular options include Overleaf, TeXstudio, and LyX.

5. Can I convert my handwritten notes to LaTeX?

Yes, there are tools available that allow you to convert handwritten notes to LaTeX, such as InftyReader and Mathpix. However, the accuracy of the conversion may vary depending on the quality of your handwriting and the complexity of the equations or symbols.