Discover LaTex & MathJax for Writing Math Expressions

In summary: It includes an introduction, the equation editor, an exercise, and the solutions.I went to the page, and did Control-P to print it. I then selected my PrimoPDF writer as the destination printer (the PrimoPDF writer is free), and printed the pages to a PDF file. I'll Upload that PDF for you to take a look at. I've found PrimoPDF to be a very handy tool to have on my PC.Well, with a very tedious process, I did a paragraph-by-paragraph screen captures and pastes into on MS Word document. I was very careful to capture every line of text in the document. A pdf copy of my LaTeX Primer is attached
Tunalover
Until this forum I had never heard of LaTex for writing mathematical expressions.
Can anyone help me:
A. find out where to download these programs.
B. find someone who would be willing to provide guidance on installing and using these programs
C. find LaTex and MathJax primers I can print out. I do not have a dual-monitor configuration so I need a printed primer for each program.

A colleague said he remembers using LaTex from 30 years ago. Too bad the forum can't get with the times and accommodate expressions pasted from programs like MS Word.

Physics news on Phys.org
There is a LaTeX Primer under INFO at the top of the page. Select Help/How-To and look for the Primer link there. :smile:

Have you tried searching the web for what you need? If you have with no results, try "Latex equations".

berkeman said:
There is a LaTeX Primer under INFO at the top of the page. Select Help/How-To and look for the Primer link there. :smile:
Yes thank you. I was aware of that. It is not in a good "printable format" though.

kuruman said:
Have you tried searching the web for what you need? If you have with no results, try "Latex equations".
Yes of course. The search results are so big and the destinations so diverse...I went to a few places but couldn't find anybody to call.

Tunalover said:
Yes thank you. I was aware of that. It is not in a good "printable format" though.
I went to the page, and did Control-P to print it. I then selected my PrimoPDF writer as the destination printer (the PrimoPDF writer is free), and printed the pages to a PDF file. I'll Upload that PDF for you to take a look at. I've found PrimoPDF to be a very handy tool to have on my PC.

Attachments

• LaTeX Primer Physics Forums - The Fusion of Science and Community.pdf
    241 KB · Views: 471
Tunalover said:
A. find out where to download these programs.
Although there are LaTeX editors around, I personally haven't found the need to use them. If all you need to format are math or physical equations, everything you need to know is present in our LaTeX tutorial, the one mentioned in post #2 of this thread. The script for the equations can be entered directly in the text pane (the pane I am typing in right now).

Tunalover said:
B. find someone who would be willing to provide guidance on installing and using these programs
No programs needed. After you have read through our tutorial, if you have questions, post them in this forum section, and we will most likely be able to answer them.

Tunalover said:
C. find LaTex and MathJax primers I can print out. I do not have a dual-monitor configuration so I need a printed primer for each program.
Already dealt with in the PDF that @berkeman shows.

Tunalover said:
Too bad the forum can't get with the times and accommodate expressions pasted from programs like MS Word.
Not sure you'd want to. I've worked with the Equation Editor in MS Word. IMO, it's a bit clunkier to use. Sometimes a GUI just gets in the way...

Thanks guys. I think I'm good now.

Likes berkeman
berkeman said:
I went to the page, and did Control-P to print it. I then selected my PrimoPDF writer as the destination printer (the PrimoPDF writer is free), and printed the pages to a PDF file. I'll Upload that PDF for you to take a look at. I've found PrimoPDF to be a very handy tool to have on my PC.
Thanks but if you print that out it hides lines of text at the top and bottom of each page.

berkeman said:
Well, with a very tedious process, I did a paragraph-by-paragraph screen captures and pastes into on MS Word document. I was very careful to capture every line of text in the document. A pdf copy of my LaTex Primer is attached.

Attachments

• LaTex Primer.pdf
    409.2 KB · Views: 237

1. What is LaTex and MathJax?

LaTex is a typesetting system commonly used for writing scientific and mathematical documents. MathJax is a JavaScript library that allows for the display of mathematical equations and symbols on webpages.

2. How do I use LaTex and MathJax for writing math expressions?

To use LaTex and MathJax, you will first need to learn the syntax for writing mathematical expressions. This typically involves using specific symbols and commands to represent various mathematical operations and functions. Once you have written your expression in LaTex, you can use MathJax to render it on a webpage.

3. Can I use LaTex and MathJax on any website?

Yes, as long as the website supports MathJax, you can use LaTex and MathJax to display math expressions. Many popular blogging platforms and content management systems have built-in support for MathJax, or you can manually add the necessary code to your website.

4. Are there any alternatives to LaTex and MathJax for writing math expressions?

Yes, there are other typesetting systems and libraries available for writing math expressions, such as MathML and KaTeX. However, LaTex and MathJax are widely used and considered to be the most comprehensive and user-friendly options.

5. Do I need to have any prior programming experience to use LaTex and MathJax?

While some programming experience may be helpful in understanding the syntax, it is not necessary. There are many resources available online for learning LaTex and MathJax, including tutorials and cheat sheets. With some practice, anyone can learn to write math expressions using these tools.