PhD in quantum computing?

by Baggio
Tags: computing, quantum
Baggio
Mar11-05, 10:45 AM
P: 212
Hi

Does anyone know which universities in england and US do post graduate study in Quantum Computing?

Raj
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Lemurs match scent of a friend to sound of her voice
Repeated self-healing now possible in composite materials
'Heartbleed' fix may slow Web performance
Pengwuino
Mar11-05, 01:02 PM
PF Gold
P: 7,125
I dont believe quantum computing is really a 'subject'. Its like... think of it this way

You have airplanes. Theres no major called "Airplane making" but you do have subjects such as physics, aerodynamics, materials science, electrical engineering. Thus, for quantum computing i think all you have is again, subjects like physics, electrical engineering, computer science, etc. and not something called "quantum computing". But i could be wrong.
juvenal
Mar11-05, 01:13 PM
P: 383
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
I dont believe quantum computing is really a 'subject'. Its like... think of it this way

You have airplanes. Theres no major called "Airplane making" but you do have subjects such as physics, aerodynamics, materials science, electrical engineering. Thus, for quantum computing i think all you have is again, subjects like physics, electrical engineering, computer science, etc. and not something called "quantum computing". But i could be wrong.
I don't think the OP was asking whether it was a major. I think he was asking more about what schools offers PhD's, say in physics, where your research is quantum computing.

Caltech has a couple physics profs doing quantum computing. John Preskill is one. I would look at quantum computing papers online (search via google) and find out which universities the authors are at.

Pengwuino
Mar11-05, 01:15 PM
PF Gold

PhD in quantum computing?

Ohh... well then does it even matter? Coudlnt you just do your thesis on whatever you really want as long as its related to the major?
Baggio
Mar11-05, 01:17 PM
Yeah Juvenal that is what I meant. I've heard of J. Preskill.. his online lecture notes helped me a lot with my project on Q.C... Caltech is an option but I've heard it's so hard to get into and expensive especially for an international student :(
Pengwuino
Mar11-05, 01:23 PM
PF Gold
http://www.gradoffice.caltech.edu/fi...est_budget.htm

But you can get a lot of TAships or RA's and fellowships to help out. Plus you can get a loan... and hell, come out of Caltech with a phd and that loan can be a million bucks and you'll still pay it off within a decade! or well... slight exageration but you get the point.
HallsofIvy
Mar11-05, 01:27 PM
Math
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 38,879
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
Ohh... well then does it even matter? Coudlnt you just do your thesis on whatever you really want as long as its related to the major?
YES BUT- it would certainly help to have professors who are knowledgable in and have done research themselves in that particular area!

Seems to me the best way to answer that question is to look at journal articles in the area and see where the authors are.
Baggio
Mar11-05, 01:29 PM
Pengwuino,

Yeah I checked that page out earlier - it's their maximum projected budget so considering it's caltech it's not too bad if you manage to get funding.. I'm not too familiar with the system you guys have there, how easy is it to get in?
juvenal
Mar11-05, 01:43 PM
Quote Quote by Baggio
Pengwuino,

Yeah I checked that page out earlier - it's their maximum projected budget so considering it's caltech it's not too bad if you manage to get funding.. I'm not too familiar with the system you guys have there, how easy is it to get in?
It's not easy to get into, especially if you're applying as a theorist.

But Pengwuino is right. Physics grad students in the United States typically get fellowships (either teaching or research) and that means that tuition is paid for, and at Caltech you receive a stipend that is somewhere over 20K a year - enough to live on for a single person. I don't think there is a PhD candidate at Caltech who is not funded.
Pengwuino
Mar11-05, 01:47 PM
PF Gold
Quote Quote by Baggio
Pengwuino,

Ever hear of the old bible verse of 'its harder for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle then it is for a rich man to get into heaven"? Well... you have a camels chance of passing through the needle lol. Just kidding though... but its incredibly hard. Perfect scores are a must, national recognition for things is needed... only a few hundred get in each year to the undergrad program alone so grad school is... woo, you understand..
juvenal
Mar11-05, 01:49 PM
Quote Quote by Pengwuino
You need an professor to be your thesis adviser, and it's very hard to find one to do so if you decide to strike off on your own area of research. A professor wants grad students to work on topics that actually interest that prof.
Baggio
Mar11-05, 02:54 PM
Haha ok, thanks for the rude awakening.. I guess I'll look at other options

Oh yeah, I'm hindu I don't read the bible :p
Shockwave
Mar11-05, 02:56 PM
P: 31
That would mean you read the Gita?
Baggio
Mar11-05, 03:31 PM
My sister does, I'm not that religious at this point in my life.. maybe one day when I'm not spending 13 hrs a day studying :D
loseyourname
Mar11-05, 03:49 PM
Emeritus
PF Gold
P: 3,634
This is directly from the Cal Tech site:

What kind of financial aid is available?

All students admitted into the Physics Graduate Program are awarded a (GRA) Graduate Research Assistantship, (GTA) Graduate Teaching Assistantship or Graduate Fellowship and full tuition. Caltech Fellowships are awarded at the discretion of the Physics Graduate Admissions Committee, no additional application is required. It is strongly advised that you include your specific areas of interest among the various physics research groups in our department, in the space provided on the first page of the application, especially whether your interests are more theoretically or experimentally inclined. This will assist the Committee in evaluating your application and to best determine your source of funding. Current stipends for Caltech Fellowships range from $18,000 to $25,000. US students who are awarded NSF (National Science Foundation) Fellowships will be supplemented by the Physics Department up to the level of our initial offer, if applicable, during their first academic year of graduate study. In subsequent years NSF recipients may elect to add GRA or GTA funding to this fellowship. Typical stipends for GRAs over a twelve month period currently are $20,700 (beginning rate) to $22,350 (advanced rate). GTA stipends over a nine month period currently are $13,068 (grading) to $14,922 (teaching). Summer support is available by either a reading grant of $4140 for unattached first and eligible second year GTAs, or a GRA of up to $8280 over a three month period.
In short, you needn't worry about funding, should you manage to be admitted. Most US universities (especially privates) do the same with regard to graduate programs in the natural sciences.

By the way, here's the link to the entire FAQ page for applicants:

http://www.pma.caltech.edu/GSR/faqapplnt.html
Baggio
Mar11-05, 03:50 PM
Excellent thanks
cronxeh
Mar11-05, 04:29 PM
PF Gold
P: 1,236
You dont need people to chew the knowledge for you and put it in your mouth.

Go to the library and dig into it. Start with the solid foundation - there are about 3 dozen topics that you must know before you think of getting into the quantum computing part. Off the top of my head you need:

Math
-Linear, Differential Equations, Partial Diff, Discrete, Statistics, Probablities, Multivariable (Vector analysis), Conformal mappings, Complex analysis, Topology

Physics
-E&M, Quantum, Statistical mechanics, Nuclear/Modern, lots of labs and knowledge of equipment

Computer Science
-objected oriented programming, combinatorial optimization, computational geometry, data structures, algorithm design - preferrably in C/C++, Visual, or .NET

Electrical Engineering
-Circuits, Analog & Digital processing, EM fields, plasmas, fusions, VLSI, sensors, solid states, lines, fields, guided waves, nonlinear analysis, nonlinear optics, em diffraction & radiation, coherent optics, holography, estimation theory, chaos theory

You can go to any big university and major in either Physics, CS, EE, or Math and after you've spent 2 years in your basic classes covering aforementioned stuff, you can do your own research on Quantum computing. You wont be the guy that invented first ever quantum computer - so dont get your hopes up. However you might be one of the many guys who will work on hard algorithm and problems, optimizing and integrating new methods.
Baggio
Mar11-05, 05:07 PM
Your post gave the impression that you think I've never looked into Q.C before?? I spent 10 weeks on a project about the subject which involved learning new maths in order to understand the various algorithms etc.. Everything you mentioned there I've done before though I only know perl/vb/fortran mainly but I can pick up C/C++

I've already looked into which universities offer QIS courses... I just want to get an impression of which schools are among the elite as I don't live in the U.S and don't have much experience of them.. Hope that makes things a little clearer

Register to reply