Register to reply

Cantilever beam deflection

Share this thread:
Jason24
Feb9-13, 10:20 AM
P: 5
Hi,

I am new to this type of material and am hoping that someone may be able to assist me.

In short I am putting a cantilever beam under test to determine its bending moment and stiffness (K value) in order to get a strain reading that can be related to an exact model in solid works.

The cantilever beam is 0.26m long and a weight is applied at 0.25m. It is obviously hinged at one end and has a point load of 4.9N (at 0.25m).

I have calculated a bending moment of 1.225x10-3 by summing -(0.0049)(0.25). I believe this is right?

From this I am trying to determine strain behaviour via M/I=Sigma/y

I have calculated I from bh3/12 as it is a rectangle giving me 43.94x10 6. Again I believe this is correct?

For the stress I assume I simply put the 4.9N that I applied? And I am unsure on how to calculate y?

Also how do i determine the K value from this?
It may also be worth mentioning that I have used a DTI to calculate a deflection of .11mm under loading

I appreciate any help, I am new to all of this and appreciate your patience

cheers,
Jason
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Greater safety and security at Europe's train stations
Fingerprints for freight items
On the way to a safe and secure smart home
PhanthomJay
Feb9-13, 02:05 PM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
PF Gold
P: 6,041
If this is a homework question you have posted in wrong forum. Deflection of a cantilever under a point load P applied a distance L from the fixed support can be found in tables or determined from the calculus, where the stiffness is the inverse of the deflection under a unit point load. Watch your units is the load in N or kN? What are the beam dimensions ? Max stress occurs at extreme outer fibers at fixed end and where y for max stress location is the distance to the neutral axis .

Register to reply