How do I determine the K value from a cantilever beam deflection test?

In summary, the speaker is seeking assistance with determining the bending moment and stiffness of a cantilever beam in order to get a strain reading for a model in SolidWorks. They have calculated the bending moment and moment of inertia, but are unsure about how to calculate the stress and determine the K value. They also mention using a DTI to calculate deflection under loading. Overall, they are new to this topic and appreciate any help.
Jason24
Hi,

I am new to this type of material and am hoping that someone may be able to assist me.

In short I am putting a cantilever beam under test to determine its bending moment and stiffness (K value) in order to get a strain reading that can be related to an exact model in solid works.

The cantilever beam is 0.26m long and a weight is applied at 0.25m. It is obviously hinged at one end and has a point load of 4.9N (at 0.25m).

I have calculated a bending moment of 1.225x10-3 by summing -(0.0049)(0.25). I believe this is right?

From this I am trying to determine strain behaviour via M/I=Sigma/y

I have calculated I from bh3/12 as it is a rectangle giving me 43.94x10 6. Again I believe this is correct?

For the stress I assume I simply put the 4.9N that I applied? And I am unsure on how to calculate y?

Also how do i determine the K value from this?
It may also be worth mentioning that I have used a DTI to calculate a deflection of .11mm under loading

I appreciate any help, I am new to all of this and appreciate your patience

cheers,
Jason

Engineering news on Phys.org
If this is a homework question you have posted in wrong forum. Deflection of a cantilever under a point load P applied a distance L from the fixed support can be found in tables or determined from the calculus, where the stiffness is the inverse of the deflection under a unit point load. Watch your units is the load in N or kN? What are the beam dimensions ? Max stress occurs at extreme outer fibers at fixed end and where y for max stress location is the distance to the neutral axis .

1. What is a cantilever beam?

A cantilever beam is a type of structural element that is supported at only one end, with the other end projecting freely into space. It typically consists of a long, narrow piece of material, such as wood or metal, that is fixed at one end and is used to support a load at the other end.

2. What causes deflection in a cantilever beam?

Deflection in a cantilever beam is caused by the application of an external load, such as weight or force, on the free end of the beam. This load causes the beam to bend or deform, resulting in a change in its original shape and position.

3. How is deflection calculated in a cantilever beam?

The deflection of a cantilever beam can be calculated using the equation δ = (FL^3)/(3EI), where δ is the deflection, F is the applied load, L is the length of the beam, E is the modulus of elasticity, and I is the moment of inertia of the beam's cross-sectional area.

4. How does beam material affect deflection in a cantilever beam?

The material of the cantilever beam can greatly affect its deflection. A stiffer material, such as steel, will have a lower deflection compared to a more flexible material, such as wood. Additionally, the modulus of elasticity of the material will also play a role in the amount of deflection.

5. What are some factors that can increase deflection in a cantilever beam?

Some factors that can increase deflection in a cantilever beam include increasing the applied load, increasing the length of the beam, using a less stiff material, and increasing the temperature of the beam. Additionally, any damage or imperfections in the beam can also increase deflection.