Simple Question about Photodiodes [Current and Voltage]

• Thread starter Crumbles
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Voltage
In summary, a photodiode can act as a current source and produce a certain amount of current when exposed to light. To make use of this current, a current to voltage op-amp circuit is needed. The difference between a current source and a voltage source is that a current source can produce any amount of voltage and a voltage source can produce any amount of current. In order to convert between current and voltage signals, a simple resistor can be used. A photodiode can operate in either photovoltaic or photoconductive mode, with the latter requiring a low impedance termination to produce a voltage source output. A phototube works on the principle of amplifying the signals from photoelectrons, with the output current containing all
Crumbles
Would someone be right in saying that a photodiode produces a current as output and that to be able to make use of this current, you ABSOLUTELY need to convert it into a voltage by using a current to voltage op-amp circuit?

I've heard this from someone but to be honest doesn't make much sense to me. I mean if you get a current from the photodiode, surely it means you have a voltage present. In other words, if you have a current, it inherently implies you have a voltage and vice versa. So, I don't understand the need for a 'current to voltage' circuit unless what you want to do is amplify the signal from your photodiode.

So if anyone has any understanding of this 'current to voltage' concept, please enlighten me!

Physics news on Phys.org
The photo diode can act as a current source and produce a certain amount of current(with in limitations) when it is exposed to a certain intensity of light.

A current to voltage amplifier is used be because:
1. Easier to deal with voltages
2. Simpler to build a current to voltage amplifier then a current to current amplifier.

Davorak said:
The photo diode can act as a current source and produce a certain amount of current(with in limitations) when it is exposed to a certain intensity of light.

A current to voltage amplifier is used be because:
1. Easier to deal with voltages
2. Simpler to build a current to voltage amplifier then a current to current amplifier.

Thanks for trying to explain this Davorak. I kinda see what you mean. If I understand correctly, a current source is different to a voltage source. I think this is the bit I am confused about. Let's say you have a current source A and a voltage source V. If you connect A to a circuit, would you not inherently get a voltage across that circuit? And vice versa, if you connect a V across a circuit, would you not inherently get a current through the circuit?

Eventually I think my question boils down to: What is the difference between a voltage source and a current source if when you connect either of them to a circuit, you get both a voltage and a current?

Crumbles said:
Eventually I think my question boils down to: What is the difference between a voltage source and a current source if when you connect either of them to a circuit, you get both a voltage and a current?
An Ideal Voltage source can source any amount of current. So if you connect the two leads of an Ideal Voltage source you would get infinity current . This is a physical impossibility of course as so is an voltage source.

An Ideal current source can produce any amount of voltage. So if you connect the two leads of a voltage source with an infinite resistance you would get an infinite voltage. This is also not physically possible.

At the extremes for real voltage or current source the ideal model does not work.

The real voltage source is molded by an ideal voltage source in series with a resistor R.

The real current source is molded by an ideal current source in parallel with a resistor R.

These real models are the simple ones a more complex model would have capacitors and inductors as well.

Thanks for making this clear guys! I think it makes sense now. :smile:

A "current source" is one whose current is either constant, or varies according to some specific relationship. A "voltage source" is one whose voltage is either constant, or varies according to some specific relationship. The other value is assumed to vary based on the impedance connected to the source.

A "current signal" is a signal in which the information is encoded by the amount of current flowing. A "voltage signal" is a signal in which the information is encoded by the voltage present.

You can convert between current and voltage signals with a simple resistor. There is usually no need for an op-amp.

- Warren

Last edited:
Hi guys ! I need to convert the current received of photodiode to a voltage and I need to build sensor circuit .
What device should i use to convert current to voltage ?
Where can I get the complete circuit of Photodiode ?

KingNothing said:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/visource.html

And yes, current and voltage are mutually inclusive, but it's different when you think about having no resistance.

Very good summary KingNothing. I've been describing I & V as "mutually inclusive" for the last 7 years on several forums including this one and got flamed for it. I'm glad the mutual inclusion concept is taking hold.

A photodiode, herein called PD, can operate in either mode, photovoltaic PV, or photoconductive, PC. In PV mode, the PD is terminated in an open or very high impedance and exhibits voltage source behavior where the voltage value is proportional to incident light.

In the PC mode, the PD is terminated in a very low impedance. This low Z could actually be the 2 inputs to an op amp (traditional voltage feedback topology) since the servo loop maintains a virtual short. The behavior is that of a current source where the current value is proportional to light intensity. The feedback resistor across the op amp terminals results in a voltage source output. The PD current Ipd, times Rfdbk equals Vout.

Claude

The basic principle of a phototube is to amplify the signals from photoelectrons leaving the photocathode and hitting the first dynode, and this signal being amplified and hitting the anode. Suppose the amplification is G and there are 1 million photoelectrons per sec. Then the output anode current is 1.6 x 10^-10 G milliamps. The is a current source, and all of the information about the number of photoelectrons is in this current. If you terminate this current in a 50 ohm resistor, the average voltage would be 8 x 10^-12 G volts. If you were integrating the current with a megohm termination, then the voltage would be 1.6 x 10^-7 G volts. I have personally used 14 stage phototubes (RCA 6810) with 10^7 gain so this would then be over a volt. In summary two things 1) all the information is in the output current, not voltage; and 2) the anode is a current source, not a voltage source.

Hi Can anyone give the correct explanation of " N level of thresholding " ?
There is two mode of photodiode ( Photovoltaic mode , Photoconductive mode ) Which mode must I choose for sensing the amount of environmental light ?

Vincent90 said:
Hi Can anyone give the correct explanation of " N level of thresholding " ?
There is two mode of photodiode ( Photovoltaic mode , Photoconductive mode ) Which mode must I choose for sensing the amount of environmental light ?

I use the PC mode with the PD placed across the 2 input terminals of an op amp. This is a transresistance amp, and the feedback resistor times the PD current equals the output voltage. By placing the PD at virtual zero volts due to the op amp servoing the 2 inputs to near zero, the dark current is minimized, improving accuracy and dynamic range.

Claude

Can anyone explain me how to measure N-level thresholding in light sensor ( photodiode ) circuit ?

1. What is a photodiode?

A photodiode is a type of semiconductor device that converts light into an electrical current. It is commonly used in electronic devices such as cameras, solar panels, and optical communication systems.

2. How does a photodiode work?

A photodiode works by utilizing the photoelectric effect, where incoming photons from light sources knock electrons loose from atoms in the photodiode's semiconductor material, creating a flow of current. The amount of current produced is directly proportional to the intensity of light hitting the photodiode.

3. What is the difference between current and voltage in a photodiode?

Current in a photodiode refers to the flow of electrons produced by the photodiode's conversion of light. Voltage, on the other hand, is the potential difference between two points in the photodiode's circuit. In other words, current is the flow of electricity, while voltage is the pressure that causes this flow.

4. How does the current and voltage in a photodiode change with varying light intensity?

The current in a photodiode is directly proportional to the intensity of light hitting the photodiode, meaning that as the light intensity increases, the current will also increase. However, the voltage across a photodiode remains relatively constant, as it is determined by the photodiode's internal circuitry and the amount of light does not affect it.

5. Are there any limitations to using photodiodes?

Yes, there are some limitations to using photodiodes. They may not work well in low light conditions, as the current produced may be too weak to be accurately measured. Additionally, photodiodes may be affected by temperature and may produce inaccurate readings in extreme temperatures. It is important to carefully consider these limitations when using photodiodes in scientific experiments or applications.