Materials for civil engineering please

by wmsaqqa
Tags: civil, engineering, materials
wmsaqqa
Mar15-13, 12:07 PM
P: 28
I have a question I really would be thankful if I had some help

For the mix design in the fresh concrete.. I've got the compressive strength 6525 psi, I didn't find it in any table to find the w/c (water-cement ratio), what should I do and if there is a formula for it what it is?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Lifting the brakes on fuel efficiency
PsiKick's batteryless sensors poised for coming 'Internet of things'
Researcher launches successful tech start-up to help the blind
etudiant
Mar16-13, 05:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 849
Not my field , but is the water/cement ratio really relevant here?
Surely the compressive strength of cement depends on its constituent materials and their quality, not the exact water/cement ratio.
Astronuc
Mar16-13, 07:46 PM
Admin
P: 21,634
I would expect that American Concrete Institute would have some reports on w/c and compressive strength.

See also - http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewco...80&context=etd - Figures 3 and 4.

When durability is not the control parameter, w/c should be selected according to the
compressive strength (Kosmatka et al. 2002). The range of w/c varies based on the project‟s
purpose and structural requirements; type of the construction (for example, normal strength
concrete (3,000-6,000 psi) is used for rigid pavement construction whereas high strength
concrete (6,000-9,000 psi) is used in structural elements; and conditions (e.g., weather and
curing conditions).
Mindess, S., Young, J. F., and Darwin, D. (2003). Concrete. 2nd Ed., Prentice-Hall Inc.,
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.

Kosmatka, S., Kerkhoff, B., and Panarese, W.C. (2002). Design and control of concrete
mixtures, 14th Ed., Portland Cement Association, Skokie, IL, USA.

See also - http://www.cement.org/tech/cct_cemen...cteristics.asp

Register to reply