Materials for civil engineering please

by wmsaqqa
Tags: civil, engineering, materials
Share this thread:
wmsaqqa
Mar15-13, 12:07 PM
P: 28
I have a question I really would be thankful if I had some help

For the mix design in the fresh concrete.. I've got the compressive strength 6525 psi, I didn't find it in any table to find the w/c (water-cement ratio), what should I do and if there is a formula for it what it is?
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Printing the metals of the future
New gadget helps the vision-impaired to read graphs
3D printing helps designers build a better brick
etudiant
Mar16-13, 05:30 PM
PF Gold
P: 858
Not my field , but is the water/cement ratio really relevant here?
Surely the compressive strength of cement depends on its constituent materials and their quality, not the exact water/cement ratio.
Astronuc
Mar16-13, 07:46 PM
Admin
P: 21,827
I would expect that American Concrete Institute would have some reports on w/c and compressive strength.

See also - http://lib.dr.iastate.edu/cgi/viewco...80&context=etd - Figures 3 and 4.

When durability is not the control parameter, w/c should be selected according to the
compressive strength (Kosmatka et al. 2002). The range of w/c varies based on the project‟s
purpose and structural requirements; type of the construction (for example, normal strength
concrete (3,000-6,000 psi) is used for rigid pavement construction whereas high strength
concrete (6,000-9,000 psi) is used in structural elements; and conditions (e.g., weather and
curing conditions).
Mindess, S., Young, J. F., and Darwin, D. (2003). Concrete. 2nd Ed., Prentice-Hall Inc.,
Englewood Cliffs, New Jersey.

Kosmatka, S., Kerkhoff, B., and Panarese, W.C. (2002). Design and control of concrete
mixtures, 14th Ed., Portland Cement Association, Skokie, IL, USA.

See also - http://www.cement.org/tech/cct_cemen...cteristics.asp

Register to reply