Embeeded RPM sensor calculation programming assistance

In summary, the speaker is working on a side project involving displaying RPM speed on an Altera development board running at 10MHZ. They are using a hall effect sensor with a frequency range of 1.6 to 166.6 Hz and a duty cycle of 50%. They have converted the RPM limits of 100 to 10000 to RPS and are calculating the time taken by polling a pin and recording the time-stamp of the processor. They are unsure of how to use this information to calculate the RPM and are seeking help.
Sparkypedia
Hi

i am doing a side project of displaying RPM speed on the Altera development board DE0 which i have running at 10MHZ.

i have got a digital input from a hall effect sensor that has a frequency range from 1.6 to 166.6 Hz.

the signal incoming has a duty cycle of 50%

to calculate the RPM so far the RPM limits of 100rpm to 10000rpm have been converted to RPS by dividing by 60 which has given the above frequencies.

to calculate the time taken i an polling this pin, when is changes to a logic level high the time-stamp of the processor is recorded, from here every tick (clock cycle) is counted up until the signal returns to a logic level low the amount of tick counts is stopped and stored as a variable.

from this value how do i calculate the RPM, thoughts so far have been to divide this value by the CPU frequency (10MHz) to give Hz and then multiply by 60 to give RPM, but I am am not sure if this is correct.

all help with this issue greatly appreciated

Engineering news on Phys.org
I'm sorry about the threads heading, I was in a hurry when I typed it up.

1. What is an embedded RPM sensor?

An embedded RPM sensor is a device that measures the rotational speed of a machine or motor. It is typically installed directly on the machine and uses sensors to detect the RPM.

2. How does an embedded RPM sensor work?

An embedded RPM sensor works by using sensors, such as Hall Effect sensors, to detect the position and speed of the rotating object. These sensors generate an electrical signal that is then processed and converted into a digital output, which can be used to calculate the RPM.

3. What is the purpose of calculating RPM using an embedded sensor?

The purpose of calculating RPM using an embedded sensor is to monitor and control the speed of a machine or motor. This information can be used to optimize performance, detect faults, and improve overall efficiency.

4. How is RPM calculated using an embedded sensor?

RPM is calculated by measuring the time it takes for the rotating object to complete one full revolution and converting it into rotations per minute. This is typically done using a microcontroller or other programming software that can process the data from the sensor and perform the necessary calculations.

5. Do I need programming assistance to calculate RPM using an embedded sensor?

It is recommended to have programming knowledge and experience to effectively calculate RPM using an embedded sensor. However, there are resources and tutorials available that can assist with the programming process.