Register to reply

Bore lapping/polishing

by will0057
Tags: bore, lapping or polishing
Share this thread:
will0057
Apr25-13, 03:24 AM
P: 1
Hi - sorry I'm not an engineer just desperate!

I want to remove pitting and marking in a shotgun bore and am having problems finding a tool which will do this in the firearms sector - and if I do I am sure it will be at a premium price - removing a small amount ie less than a thou of the internal diameter of a bore and polishing must be a fairly common requirement in engineering - does anyone know of a cheap portable tool which will do this (as opposed to factory honing) I want something I can put on a drill and spin in the bore - have tried brake honing stones but really need something which will apply equal pressure (or nearly) at all surfaces of the bore, the nearest I can get so far is to try rig up an expanding mandrel - is their anything commercially available?

Thanks
Will
Phys.Org News Partner Engineering news on Phys.org
Identifying long-distance threats: New 3D technology could improve CCTV images
Intelligent system that predicts when alarms might be triggered could greatly improve the management of industrial plant
3D printed nose wins design award
Danger
Apr25-13, 05:51 AM
PF Gold
P: 8,964
I'm not sure whether or not this will work for you, but it might be worth checking out. There are valve-guide hones for auto mechanics. I don't know how large a bore they can service, though. Also, you'd definitely want to rent or borrow one; they cost upward of $350.
My only other suggestion would be to wrap sandpaper or drywall screen around a sponge on a stick.
(That's not my final answer, but I've got nothing else right now.)
sophiecentaur
Apr25-13, 08:04 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 12,161
Your bore is tapered, I imagine. That doesn't help.
How about a sponge mop and valve grinding paste? Lots of rotation and reciprocation to spread the wear and avoid high / low spots.

Register to reply