Light at night

by lufc88
Tags: light, night
lufc88
Sep6-13, 09:24 AM
P: 47
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxJ4M7tyLRE
Isn't the reason the sky isn't bright at night ,due to all the stars, because the fact the stars aren't bright enough to be seen by the naked eye after a certain distance? So it doesn't necessarily depend on the fact the universe doesn't have to be infinite or expanding? I know the intensity of light decreases due to the inverse square law and I know that there would be a minimum level of brightness, as light is quantised, that would never be lower but would happen less frequent as the photons would be less frequent. But our eyes aren't that sensitive so eventually we would not see anything in terms of visible light.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Physicists design quantum switches which can be activated by single photons
'Dressed' laser aimed at clouds may be key to inducing rain, lightning
Higher-order nonlinear optical processes observed using the SACLA X-ray free-electron laser
Bandersnatch
Sep6-13, 09:59 AM
P: 557
This is called Olbers' Paradox, and if you do forum search you'll find a plethora of threads explaining it. Wikipedia's article is also a good read.

In short, even though the light intensity falls down with square of the distance, the number of stars seen increases with square of the distance.

Register to reply