What material is best to build a floating bicycle?

In summary, the conversation discusses building a water bike with transparent floats and a unique design for practical use and humor. Suggestions include a recumbent bike design with a lower center of gravity and a front-mounted, steerable prop for propulsion and direction. Budget and industrial regulations may limit the materials used, but suggestions include aluminum, stainless steel, PVC, HPDE, and Delrin. The idea of using transparent plastic for the floats is questioned due to potential issues with strong sunlight.
ceo_oceano
Hello,

I am looking on building my own water bike after finding out that they start around $1700 like the one pictured in this thread.

What designs / materials can make this better? I would like to also have transparent floats rather then the original colors that you constantly see which are the Blues and yellows. Maybe create a transparent (Invisible looking) water bike to make it seem like you are literally riding on the water with no help.

Please help - This is simply just for my own practical use and humor

Attachments

• akwakat.jpg
    akwakat.jpg
    9.9 KB · Views: 2,258
Engineering news on Phys.org
For water use, a recumbent bike design might make more sense.
Ideally the lower CoG should allow operation using a single hull, for a lighter structure.
The power can be fed to a front mounted prop, ideally steerable, so propulsion and direction can be combined.
The end result would of course not look much like a conventional bike, but you did not want one of those ;) .

Likes 3WWW
There are plenty of transparent plastics and construction processes that will suit you.
The controlling factor will be your budget (and, if any, industrial regulations).
I mean - you could use inflated polythene bags on a PVC frame... but I doubt it would look cool.
Don't expect anything like invisibility on a budget though.

As it stands, the question is too open ended for you to get much use from answers we can give you.

It's a pontoon boat with a bicycle mounted on it. No real reason to change from standard materials used by the boating industry. Aluminum frame, stainless for the metal bits that spend the most time in the water. PVC, HPDE and Delrin for the plastic parts. I am skeptical about the usefulness of transparent plastic for the pontoons in an application that will see a lot of use in strong direct sunlight. Note that none of the commercially available ones have that feature. There is likely a very good reason.
Good luck!

Likes 3WWW

I would suggest using a combination of materials to build a floating bicycle that is both durable and aesthetically pleasing. The main material for the frame and structure of the bike should be a lightweight, strong and corrosion-resistant material such as aluminum or carbon fiber. This will ensure that the bike can withstand the weight of the rider and the water while also being able to float.

For the floats, I would recommend using a transparent material such as polycarbonate or acrylic. These materials are known for their strength and transparency, and they can be easily molded into the desired shape for the floats. Additionally, they are resistant to water and UV rays, making them suitable for prolonged exposure to the elements.

To achieve the desired "invisible" effect, you could consider using a special coating or film on the transparent floats. This can create a reflective surface that will give the illusion of the bike floating on the water with no visible support. However, it is important to note that this may affect the transparency of the floats and could potentially compromise their strength.

Another factor to consider is the design of the bike. To improve its stability and maneuverability on the water, you could incorporate features such as hydrofoils or pontoons. These can help to distribute the weight of the bike and rider more evenly, making it easier to ride and reducing the risk of tipping over.

Overall, a combination of lightweight and durable materials, along with a well-designed structure, will make for the best floating bicycle. It is important to carefully consider the materials and design elements to ensure both functionality and safety while also achieving the desired visual effect.

1. What are the main factors to consider when choosing a material for a floating bicycle?

The main factors to consider when choosing a material for a floating bicycle are weight, buoyancy, durability, and cost. The material should be lightweight yet strong enough to support the weight of the rider and the bicycle. It should also be buoyant enough to keep the bicycle afloat, and durable enough to withstand the elements.

2. Are there any specific materials that are commonly used for building floating bicycles?

Yes, some commonly used materials for building floating bicycles include carbon fiber, fiberglass, and marine-grade aluminum. These materials are lightweight, strong, and have good buoyancy properties, making them ideal for building floating bicycles.

3. Can any type of bicycle be turned into a floating bicycle?

No, not all types of bicycles can be turned into a floating bicycle. The bicycle must have a frame strong enough to support the added weight of the buoyant material and must also have enough space to accommodate the buoyant material without affecting its balance and stability.

4. How does the type of water (freshwater vs. saltwater) affect the choice of material for a floating bicycle?

The type of water can affect the choice of material for a floating bicycle. Saltwater is denser than freshwater, which means the bicycle will need more buoyancy to stay afloat. Therefore, materials with higher buoyancy properties, such as carbon fiber, are better suited for saltwater environments.

5. Is it possible to build a completely waterproof floating bicycle?

Yes, it is possible to build a completely waterproof floating bicycle. Materials such as marine-grade aluminum and plastic can be used to create a sealed and waterproof frame for the bicycle. However, it is important to note that some parts, such as the gears and chain, may still be susceptible to water damage.