Register to reply

Can a electron gun attract/repel permanent magnet?

by dan020350
Tags: attract or repel, electron, magnet, permanent
Share this thread:
dan020350
May2-14, 07:44 AM
P: 33
Can it do such a thing or are the particles too small ? If it is possible can I take the electron gun out my cry is you AA batteries?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
UCI team is first to capture motion of single molecule in real time
And so they beat on, flagella against the cantilever
Tandem microwave destroys hazmat, disinfects
ZapperZ
May2-14, 08:22 AM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 29,242
Quote Quote by dan020350 View Post
Can it do such a thing or are the particles too small ? If it is possible can I take the electron gun out my cry is you AA batteries?
Er... say that again? Especially the "... take the electron gun out my cry is you AA batteries..."

An electron beam doesn't have as much "mass" or weight as a typical magnet. If anything, the electron beam is the one that gets affected by the magnet, with very little effect on the magnet due to the electron beam.

So to answer your question: No.

Zz.
dan020350
May2-14, 09:45 AM
Quote Quote by ZapperZ View Post
Er... say that again? Especially the "... take the electron gun out my cry is you AA batteries..."

An electron beam doesn't have as much "mass" or weight as a typical magnet. If anything, the electron beam is the one that gets affected by the magnet, with very little effect on the magnet due to the electron beam.

So to answer your question: No.

Zz.
Sry. It is CRT. What about the toroid? Where the coils are wrap around a circle,!in the middle of the donut isn't that is how the electron beam begins? It repels out the magnet?

But that's for your reponse.

HomogenousCow
May2-14, 10:06 AM
P: 366
Can a electron gun attract/repel permanent magnet?

The magnet won't feel a thing.
The magnet as a whole is orders upon orders of magnitudes more massive than the electron.
UltrafastPED
May2-14, 10:06 AM
Sci Advisor
Thanks
PF Gold
P: 1,911
I've built a variety of photo-electron guns; the steering system used magnets to deflect the beam; the magnets didn't move when the beam was switched on and off.

If you had a really strong beam - such as the beam from a quasar - then it would be a different story.

You can calculate the magnetic field for any current:
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu...ic/magcur.html

Then calculate the interaction with the magnet's magnetic field ... that provides the force:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Force_between_magnets

Then use Newton's second law of motion to determine the acceleration applied to the mass of the magnet. If it is enough to overcome the force of gravity - then it will lift the magnet.

If you solve the general problem for a simple geometry you can then calculate what is required to move a given magnet.
dan020350
May2-14, 10:24 AM
Thank you
davenn
May2-14, 06:00 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,728
Sry. It is CRT. What about the toroid? Where the coils are wrap around a circle,!in the middle of the donut isn't that is how the electron beam begins? It repels out the magnet?

But that's for your reponse.
No, the electron beam begins way back at the gun at the end of the tube where all the connection pins are
The coils that are placed further up the neck of the tube are used to deflect the electron beam so that it scans across the face of the tube as required

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=how+a+crt+works

Dave
dan020350
May2-14, 07:45 PM
Thank you my brothers
Burnerjack
May2-14, 08:55 PM
P: 15
On an infinitesimal scale, I would think that the electron beam DOES effect the the magnet. I base this on the fact that attraction and repulsion occur to mutual entities. As the magnet attracts or repels the beam, the force appears to both. the Earth attracts the feather and vice versa. Imperceptibly small, immeasurably so, but it must be so.

Register to reply