Analogy between fluid dynamics and electromagnetism

In summary, there is a strong analogy between fluid dynamics and electromagnetism, where the velocity flow field is identified with the magnetic vector potential and the vorticity is identified with the magnetic field. However, beyond this analogy, the similarities between the two fields are quite weak. There is a relationship between the magnetic field, electric field, and vector potential in the analogy that does not exist in electromagnetism. There are some papers and theories exploring this analogy, but a completely systematic exploration has not been found yet.
komdu
I've recently heard of an analogy between fluid dynamics and electromagnetism in which the velocity flow field is identified with the magnetic vector potential, (and therefore the vorticity is identified with the magnetic field), and the vector [itex]\omega \times v[/itex] is identified with the electric field.

I'm curious as to how far this analogy goes but haven't had much luck finding a completely systematic exploration of this. It looks to me like this isn't a perfect correspondence, because, for example, there seems to be a relationship between magnetic field, electric field, and the vector potential that doesn't exist in electromagnetism.

5 days ago I asked a very similar question on Stack Exchange but it hasn't attracted any attention.

Physics news on Phys.org
The analogy between the magnetic field ##\vec{B} = \vec{\nabla}\times \vec{A}## and the vorticity ##\vec{\omega} = \vec{\nabla}\times \vec{v}## is a very strong one; in fact in general relativity, the vorticity of the velocity field generating time-translations in space-time is identified with the gravitomagnetic field. But beyond that the analogy, as far as I know, is quite weak and as such you probably won't find any systematic exploration of it.

Many thanks. Do you know of any reasonable interpretation of [itex] E = B \times A[/itex] in electromagnetism, which seems to arise from the definitions in the analogy?

Ah, those links are excellent. Following some references in the links you provided I've found this paper which seems to say (top of section III) that in the inviscid case some fluid equations precisely coincide with the Maxwell equations. I will need to read this carefully.

1. What is the main similarity between fluid dynamics and electromagnetism?

The main similarity between fluid dynamics and electromagnetism is the concept of a field. In both cases, there is a physical quantity (velocity for fluids and electric/magnetic fields for electromagnetism) that varies in space and can be described by mathematical equations.

2. How does the behavior of particles in a fluid compare to the behavior of charged particles in an electromagnetic field?

In both cases, the particles are affected by the surrounding field. In fluid dynamics, the velocity of a particle can be influenced by the velocity of neighboring particles, similar to how charged particles can be influenced by the electric or magnetic fields created by other charged particles.

3. Can the equations used in fluid dynamics be applied to electromagnetism or vice versa?

While the equations may have some similarities, they are fundamentally different and cannot be used interchangeably. Fluid dynamics equations are based on the conservation of mass, momentum, and energy, while electromagnetism equations are based on Maxwell's equations, which describe the behavior of electric and magnetic fields.

4. Are there any real-world applications where the analogy between fluid dynamics and electromagnetism is used?

Yes, there are several real-world applications where the analogy between fluid dynamics and electromagnetism is used. One example is in plasma physics, where the behavior of charged particles in a plasma can be described using fluid dynamics equations. Another example is in aerodynamics, where the principles of fluid dynamics are used to study the behavior of air around objects such as airplanes.

5. Are there any limitations to the analogy between fluid dynamics and electromagnetism?

While the analogy can be useful in understanding certain phenomena, it is important to remember that fluid dynamics and electromagnetism are distinct fields with their own unique properties and behaviors. The analogy may break down in certain situations, and it is always important to use the appropriate equations and principles for each specific scenario.