Reverse-engineer fractal resampling process

by deadrabbit
Tags: fractal, process, resampling, reverseengineer
Share this thread:
deadrabbit
Jun30-14, 11:24 PM
P: 1
Hey,

I am working on a project where I need to take several time series of various lengths and identify common features. So, for example, a period of 100 days may exhibit the same features as a period of 10 days -- the system is self-similar in this way.

In order to compare these series of different lengths I need to strip out noise that is not important for feature identification in order to bring them to the same scale.

I have come across this document that shows a rather efficient method of doing this and would like to reverse engineer it... any help greatly appreciated.

http://www.congrexprojects.com/docs/...resampling.pdf
Phys.Org News Partner Social sciences news on Phys.org
Video games could dramatically streamline educational research
Benefits of telecommuting greater for some workers, study finds
World population to keep growing this century, hit 11 billion by 2100
berkeman
Jul1-14, 11:35 AM
Mentor
P: 41,353
Quote Quote by deadrabbit View Post
Hey,

I am working on a project where I need to take several time series of various lengths and identify common features. So, for example, a period of 100 days may exhibit the same features as a period of 10 days -- the system is self-similar in this way.

In order to compare these series of different lengths I need to strip out noise that is not important for feature identification in order to bring them to the same scale.

I have come across this document that shows a rather efficient method of doing this and would like to reverse engineer it... any help greatly appreciated.

http://www.congrexprojects.com/docs/...resampling.pdf
Why don't you just contact the authors of the work to ask for their help?
AlephZero
Jul1-14, 04:14 PM
Engineering
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 7,295
Doesn't page 8 already explain it?

If the original data set is ##x_0, x_1, \dots##, start by keeping the points ##x_0, x_{2^k}, 2x_{2^k}, \dots## for a "large" value of ##k##.

If linear interpolation between those points is not good enough in an interval, add the mid-point of that interval to the list of points.

Rinse and repeat till the result is accurate enough.

In the example they start from ##x_0## and ##x_8##, then add the mid point ##x_4##, etc.

You might want to compare this will something like spline fitting adaptive knot placement, e.g. http://www3.stat.sinica.edu.tw/stati...pdf/A20n39.pdf

For the "inspiration" on page 7, google fractal (or fractional) brownian terrain generation.

Register to reply