Register to reply

Dipole question

by Willa
Tags: dipole
Share this thread:
Willa
Oct16-05, 12:35 PM
P: 23
I'm stuck on a question involving dipoles and what I am guessing to be the method of images...here goes:

The electrical system of a thundercloud can be represented by a vertical dipole consisting of a charge +40C at a height of 10km and a charge of -40C vertically below it at a height of 6km. What is the electric field at the ground immediately below the cloud, treating the ground as a perfect conductor?

To tackle this question I tried using the method of images to create an image dipole on the other side of the ground. Then using the formula for the E field of a dipole:

E = 1/(4pie0r^5)(3p.rr - r^2p)

Summing the two dipole electric fields, and taking into account the coefficient in the r must go to 0 so that there is no horizontal electric field, I get:

E = -p/(2pie0r^3)

But using the values given, I do not get the answer which is supposed to be 12.8kV, what have I done wrong?
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Fungus deadly to AIDS patients found to grow on trees
Canola genome sequence reveals evolutionary 'love triangle'
Scientists uncover clues to role of magnetism in iron-based superconductors
Gokul43201
Oct16-05, 01:09 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
12.8kV ? That's the wrong units for a field.

PS : Post your textbook questions in the Coursework forum above.
Willa
Oct16-05, 01:24 PM
P: 23
I meant kVm-1

Gokul43201
Oct16-05, 04:44 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,155
Dipole question

I get 12.8 kV/m, if I just find the field due to each charge (and it's image) and add the numbers.

I get 11.25 kV/m using the dipole equation you posted. I think you forgot a factor of 2 (when you add the field from the image). However, isn't this formula accurate only in the limit r >> a ?

Register to reply