Linear Differential Equations with Exponential and Trigonometric Functions

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding the general solution to a differential equation, specifically for the given equation y``+2y`-35y=12e^(5x)+37sin5x. Through calculations, it is determined that the correct solution is y=c1e^(-7x)+c2e^(5x)+xe^(5x)+(3/2)sin5x-(1/10)cos5x. However, there is confusion regarding the coefficient for the exponential term, which is later resolved by rechecking the calculations.
asdf1
for the following question:
y``+2y`-35y=12e^(5x)+37sin5x

my problem:
yh=c1e^(-7x)+c2e^(5x)
suppose yp=c3xe^(5x)+c4sinx+c5cos5x
then yp`=c3e^(5x)+5c3xe^(5x)+5c4cos5x-5c5sin5x
so yp``=8c3e^(5x)+(-60c4-10c5)sin5x+(-60c5+10c4)
which means that 8c3=12 => c3=2/3
also from (-60c4-10c5)=37 and (10c4-60c5)=0 implies that
c4=-3/5 and c5=-1/10
so y=c1e^(-7x)+c2e^(5x)+(3/2)xe^(5x) +(3/2)sin5x-(1/10)cos5x
but the correct answer should be
y=c1e^(-7x)+c2e^(5x)+xe^(5x) +(3/2)sin5x-(1/10)cos5x

i've checked this many times, but i don't know where my calculations went wrong... :P

Physics news on Phys.org
Since your coefficents are correct for sine and cosine, just recheck the exponential.
Let y= c3xe5x

Then y'= c3e5x+ 5c3xe5x just as you say.

y"= 5c3e5x+ (5c3e5x+ 25c3xe5x)
= 103e5x+ 25c3xe5x

I don't see where you got the "8".

Now y"= 103e5x+ 25c3xe5x
+2y'= 2c3e5x+10c3xe5x
-35y= -35c3xe5x

So we must have 12c3= 12.

thank you very much! i'll redo my calculations...

FAQ: Linear Differential Equations with Exponential and Trigonometric Functions

What is a linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, its derivatives, and independent variables in a linear fashion. This means that the dependent variable and its derivatives are raised to the first power and are not multiplied or divided by each other.

What is the difference between a linear and a non-linear differential equation?

A linear differential equation has a linear relationship between the dependent variable and its derivatives, while a non-linear differential equation does not. In a non-linear differential equation, the dependent variable and its derivatives can be raised to different powers and can be multiplied or divided by each other.

What is the general form of a linear differential equation?

The general form of a linear differential equation is: an(x)y(n) + an-1(x)y(n-1) + ... + a1(x)y' + a0(x)y = g(x), where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, an to a0 are functions of x, and g(x) is a known function.

What is the order of a linear differential equation?

The order of a linear differential equation is the highest derivative that appears in the equation. For example, a first-order linear differential equation would have the form a(x)y' + b(x)y = g(x), while a second-order linear differential equation would have the form a(x)y'' + b(x)y' + c(x)y = g(x).

How are linear differential equations solved?

Linear differential equations can be solved using various methods, such as separation of variables, integrating factors, and power series. The specific method used depends on the type of linear differential equation and its initial conditions. In some cases, a closed-form solution may not be possible, and numerical methods may be used to approximate the solution.

Back