17.1.08 y''+100y=0 Find the general solution of the given equation?

In summary: Here, y''- 2y'+ 11y= y''+ (11- 2)y= y''- 2y+ 11y= (r^2- 2r+ 11)e^{rx}= 0. That characteristic equation is r^2- 2r+ 11= 0 which has roots [tex]r= \frac{2\pm\sqrt{4- 4(1)(11)}}{2}= \frac{2\pm\sqrt{-40}}{2}= \frac{2\pm 2\sqrt{-10}}{2}= 1\pm\sqrt{-10}[/tex]. The "real" and "imag
karush
Gold Member
MHB
$\tiny{17.1.08}$
$\textrm{ Find the general solution of the given equation?}$
\begin{align*}\displaystyle
y''+100y&=0
\end{align*}
$\textit{The auxiliary equation is:}$
x^2+100x&=0\\
x(x+100)&=0\\
x&=-100
\end{align*}
$\textit{Answer by EMH}$
y&=c_1 \cos(10x)+c_2 \sin(10x)
\end{align*}
ok tried looking at some examples again but not?

this doesn't have imaginary roots

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The characteristic equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^2+100=r^2+10^2=0\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle r=\pm10i\) :D

so
$$y=c_1 \cos(10 x) + c_2 \sin(10 x))$$

karush said:
so
$$y=c_1 \cos(10 x) + c_2 \sin(10 x))$$

Yes, what if the ODE had been:

\(\displaystyle y''-2y'+11y=0\)

Here you find the roots of the characteristic equation to be:

\(\displaystyle r=1\pm\sqrt{10}i\)

What would the solution then be?

You are asking Karush whether he can answer that, not because you can't do it, right?

HallsofIvy said:
You are asking Karush whether he can answer that, not because you can't do it, right?

Yes, I wanted to see if the OP knew how to handle characteristic roots that have both real and imaginary components (complex roots in general). :D

MarkFL said:
The characteristic equation is:

\(\displaystyle r^2+100=r^2+10^2=0\)

Thus:

\(\displaystyle r=\pm10i\) :D

isn't it??

$r^2+10^2 r =0$

karush said:
isn't it??

$r^2+10^2 r =0$

No, when creating the characteristic equation the order of differentiation translates to the exponent on the characteristic variable, i.e.:

\(\displaystyle y^{(n)}(x)\implies r^n\)

Therefore $y(x)\implies r^0=1$.

You can get the "characteristic equation" for a linear differential equation with constant coefficients by looking for a solution of the form [tex]y(x)= e^{rx}[/tex].

Then [tex]y'(x)= re^{rx}[/tex] and [tex]y''(x)= r^2e^{rx}[/tex]. So [tex]y''+ 100y= r^2e^{rx}+ 100e^{rx}= (r^2+ 100)e^{rx}= 0[/tex]. Because [tex]e^{rx}[/tex] is never 0, we must have [tex]r^2+ 100= 0[/tex] which has roots [tex]\pm 10i[/tex].

You only have an "r" in the characteristic equation when there is a y' in the differential equation.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is the given equation?

The given equation is 17.1.08 y''+100y=0

What does the equation represent?

This equation is a second-order linear differential equation, where y represents an unknown function of x and y'' represents the second derivative of y with respect to x.

What does the general solution of the equation mean?

The general solution of a differential equation represents the set of all possible solutions that satisfy the equation. It includes all possible combinations of constants that can be added to a particular solution to get another solution.

How do you find the general solution of this equation?

To find the general solution of this equation, we need to follow the standard procedure for solving second-order linear differential equations. This involves finding the roots of the characteristic equation, determining the complementary function, and finding the particular integral using the method of undetermined coefficients.

Can you provide an example of the general solution for this equation?

One possible general solution for this equation is y(x) = Ae^(-10x) + Be^(10x), where A and B are arbitrary constants. This solution can be verified by substituting it into the original equation and showing that it satisfies the equation for all values of x.