1D Heat Transfer Analytical Wall

In summary, the engineer finds that the time scale for the temperature within the wall to respond to the outside heat transfer is much longer than the time scale for the thermal inertia of the wall to respond to the outside heat transfer. Therefore, they conclude that it is valid to use a lumped parameter model for the slab, with the temperature profile within the slab treated as uniform.
kartini99
TL;DR Summary
Problem finding the correct temperature value for unexposed heat by using separation variables.
Hello everyone,

I'm trying to solve the transient heat transfer problem within the ID wall.
The material is steel, and it is isotropic.
The properties are given below :
L = 5 mm
qin = 0
Tinf = 100 deg C
Tini = 20 deg C
rho = 7850 kg/m3
cp = 460 W/Kg.K
k = 45.8 W/m.K
h = 20 W/m^2.K
alpha = k / rho*cp
t = 360 second
Fo = alpha * t / (L**2)

By using the attached formulation, I got the root of the function lambda is 0.03303492.
However, I increased the time, and the temperature in the unexposed wall was reduced. and when I change the time to 1 (one), the value shows almost like the T imposed, which is 100. Kind of the opposite way, Kindly any body help me with that. I also attached the script below

Python:
from scipy.optimize import fsolve
import numpy as np

def xtanxmbi(x, Bi):
    # tan = np.tan(x*np.pi/180)
    # return np.arctan(tan)*Bi-x
    # return (1/np.tan(x))*Bi-x
    return (np.cos(x)/np.sin(x))*Bi-x

# W = 1
# H = 0.1
L = 2.5 / 1000
qin = 0
Tinf = 100
Tini = 20
rhocp = 7850 * 460
k = 45.8
h = 20
alpha = k / rhocp
t = 360
Fo = alpha * t / (L**2)
print(f"The Fo is = {Fo}")
N = 6
n = 6
Bi = h * L / k
theta = np.zeros((n, N))
x0 = np.arange(n) * np.pi + 0.3
ans = fsolve(xtanxmbi, x0=x0, args=(Bi), full_output=True)
if ans[2] != 1:
    print("error solving roots of transcendental equation")
roots = ans[0]
Bi5 = Bi
print(f"Bi = {Bi5} , {roots}")

for i in np.arange(n):
    An = 2* np.sin(roots[I]) / (roots[I]+np.sin(roots[I])*np.cos(roots[I]))
    print(f"An = {An}")
    x = 1
    theta[I] = An * np.exp((-roots[I] ** 2 )* Fo) * np.cos(roots[I] * x)
    print(f"value of theta = {theta}")
    print(type(theta))
# Cn_0 = 4.0 * np.sin(roots[0]) / (2.0 * roots[0] + np.sin(2.0 * roots[0]))
# print(f"value of Cn is ={Cn_0}")
# theta_0 = Cn_0 * np.exp(-roots[0] ** 2 * Fo) * np.cos(roots[0] * x)
# print(f"value of theta is ={theta_0}")
sum_theta = theta[0, 0]
# print(sum_theta)

T = Tini + (Tinf - Tini) * sum_theta
print(f"value T={T}")
[/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I][/I]

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    52.7 KB · Views: 66
Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
Please provide a diagram.

The units of Cp are incorrect

As an engineer, my approach to this is entirely different, and I actually get a simple accurate answer. Looking at the time scale for flattening of the temperature within the wall ##L^2/\alpha##, I conclude that this time scale is only a few seconds, compared to the time scale for the thermal inertia of the wall to respond to the outside heat transfer ##\tau = \rho C_p L/h##, which is on the order of 900 sec. So it is valid to use an lumped parameter model for the slab, with the temperature profile within the slab treated as uniform. For this description, the temperature is a function only of time, given by $$T=100-(100-20)e^{-t/\tau}$$At 360 seconds, this gives a temperature of about 46 C.

1. What is 1D heat transfer analytical wall?

1D heat transfer analytical wall is a mathematical model used to analyze heat transfer in a one-dimensional system, such as a wall. It takes into account factors such as temperature, thermal conductivity, and heat flux to determine the rate of heat transfer through the wall.

2. How is 1D heat transfer analytical wall different from other heat transfer models?

1D heat transfer analytical wall is a simplified model that only considers heat transfer in one direction, unlike other models that may take into account multiple dimensions and complexities. It is useful for analyzing simple systems and can provide quick and accurate results.

3. What are the assumptions made in 1D heat transfer analytical wall?

The main assumptions made in 1D heat transfer analytical wall are that the system is in a steady state, there is no heat generation within the wall, and the thermal properties of the wall are constant and uniform. These assumptions may not hold true in all real-world scenarios, but they allow for a simplified and accurate analysis.

4. How is 1D heat transfer analytical wall used in practical applications?

1D heat transfer analytical wall is commonly used in engineering and design to determine the thermal performance of building materials, such as insulation, and to optimize energy efficiency. It is also used in the design of heating and cooling systems, as well as in the analysis of heat transfer in electronic devices.

5. Are there any limitations to using 1D heat transfer analytical wall?

Yes, there are limitations to using 1D heat transfer analytical wall. It is a simplified model and may not accurately represent complex systems. It also does not take into account factors such as convection and radiation, which can significantly affect heat transfer in certain scenarios. Therefore, it is important to use this model with caution and consider its limitations when analyzing real-world situations.