1st Law of Thermo Calculation (Ideal Gas)

In summary, we have calculated the temperature, work, internal energy change, and heat absorbed for the gas in a reversible cooling process at constant pressure. We have found that the temperature of the gas in the final state is 131.3 K, the work done on the gas is 10132.5 J, the internal energy change of the gas is -271710.7 J, and the heat absorbed by the gas is -261678.2 J. Our calculations were based on the ideal gas law and the concepts of work and internal energy change.
jmm5872
Hydrogen behaves as an ideal gas at temperatures greater than 200 K and at pressures less than 50 atm.

Suppose 6.00 mol hydrogen is initially contained in a 100-L vessel at a pressure of 2.00 atm. The average molar heat capacity of hydrogen at constant pressure, cp, is 29.3 J/K/mol in the temperature range of the problem. The gas is cooled reversibly at constant pressure from its initial state to a volume of 50.0-L.

Calculate:
a) Temp of gas in final state
b) Work done on the gas, w, in joules
c) Internal energy change of the gas, [tex]\Delta[/tex]U, in joules
d) Heat absorbed by the gas, q, in joules

I have worked throught the problem, I am just concerned about the signs of all my answers.

I know that if the volume is decreased and pressure is constant that the temperature will rise. I used PV=nRT to get the initial temp.

I guess my main concern is with the work done. I used this formula:

w = -Pext[tex]\Delta[/tex]V

where delta V was 50 - 100 = -50

So I got w = -(2.00 atm)(-50 L) = 100 L atm = 10132.5 J

Then...

qp = ncp[tex]\Delta[/tex]T

[tex]\Delta[/tex]U = q + w

As I wrote all this down it seems like I have done nothing incorrect.

I think I have been confused about the basic concepts. For some reason I had the notion in my head that if work is positive then q should be negative.

Sorry for the long statement here.

Physics news on Phys.org
I just wanted to explain my problem and why I was confused.a) Temp of gas in final state: The temperature of the gas in the final state will be higher than the initial temperature. Using the ideal gas law, PV=nRT, we can calculate the temperature in the final state as follows:T2 = (P2V2)/(nR) = (2.00 atm)(50.0 L)/(6.00 mol)(8.314 J/K/mol) = 131.3 K b) Work done on the gas, w, in joules:Work is defined as the amount of energy required to move a system from one state to another. In this case, the work done by the gas is equal to the external pressure times the change in volume. Thus, the work done on the gas is given by: w = -Pext\DeltaV = -(2.00 atm)(50.0 L - 100.0 L) = 10132.5 J c) Internal energy change of the gas, \DeltaU, in joules: The internal energy change of the gas is equal to the heat absorbed by the gas plus the work done on the gas. Thus, the internal energy change of the gas is given by: \DeltaU = q + w = (6.00 mol)(29.3 J/K/mol)(131.3 K - 300.0 K) + (-10132.5 J) = -271710.7 J d) Heat absorbed by the gas, q, in joules: The heat absorbed by the gas is equal to the internal energy change of the gas minus the work done on the gas. Thus, the heat absorbed by the gas is given by: q = \DeltaU - w = -271710.7 J - (-10132.5 J) = -261678.2 J

1. What is the 1st Law of Thermodynamics?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics states that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.

2. How is the 1st Law of Thermodynamics applied to ideal gases?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics can be applied to ideal gases by considering the change in internal energy of the gas as it undergoes a process.

3. What is the equation for calculating the change in internal energy for an ideal gas?

The equation for calculating the change in internal energy for an ideal gas is ΔU = Q - W, where ΔU is the change in internal energy, Q is the heat added to the gas, and W is the work done by the gas.

4. How is the ideal gas law used in thermodynamic calculations?

The ideal gas law, PV = nRT, is used to relate the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas in a system. This equation can be manipulated to solve for any of the variables in a thermodynamic calculation.

5. What are some common applications of the 1st Law of Thermodynamics in real-world scenarios?

The 1st Law of Thermodynamics is applied in various real-world scenarios, such as in the design of engines, refrigeration systems, and power plants. It is also used in the study of weather patterns and global climate change.